Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

seeding LS

Going to start cycle on 100gal bowfront. I have a 9mo old nano doing great. I plan on using some of the LS from the nano to seed my new dry sand, this LS sand is just choc-ful-o critters. Should I wait til the 80lbs of LR is cured first, then add the dry and LS mix? I don't want the spikes to kill the critters. I know these critters are pretty primitive, so they can probably handle it, right?
TIA

Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There cant be much sand in that nano so honestly I dont see it helping the 100gal tank out much.

What I would do is add the dry sand then add the water and then the rock. Let the rock go thru its curing phase and then introduce your live sand from the nano.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
There cant be much sand in that nano so honestly I dont see it helping the 100gal tank out much.
Just a cup of sand loaded with critters can help seed a sand bed. With the right conditions they will multiply and populate the whole thing. -or isn't that what you meant...
Quote:
What I would do is add the dry sand then add the water and then the rock. Let the rock go thru its curing phase and then introduce your live sand from the nano.
Good advice - that's what I would do.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I put a 20 lb bag is there when I started, give or take a few oz when siphoning etc.
should still be close. My intentions are to add about half to the new tank.

kinda though the LS should come last. Thanks guys

Tags
seed, seeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com