Self righting snails... ? Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to add some snails in a week. Who rights themselves? I am a firefighter and work 24 hour shifts and would like to leave for work one day and come home the next and not have a few dead snails.

Nassarius snails. I got 50 of them for 16.00 thats with shipping. They are amazing, they flip themselves over immediately. Not good for alage, but great for eating any uneaten food, and detrious. When I hand feed my shrimp and anemone raw shrimp they go crazy. They also burrow in the sand which keeps it well oxygenated.

i have turbos in my tank. i have yet to help on right there selfs. and they seem to do a good job on the alage.

AWESOME input !
Thanks guys !
Anything else?
I want go the snail route... but may have a hitchhiker green crab I'll have to keep ! I hope I don't get a Mantis though, I may just keep him in the tank to help cycle if I do get one ! I'd rather deal with him then have a totoally empty tank to cycle !

Definitely not a red-legged snail! Stupid snail! Even when it's not flipped over, it's barely doing anything. I wouldn't mind if my blue-legged hermit did it in. How often do I need to flip the stupid thing over?

six line is right I got a mix of margarita,ceruths,small turbo,and Nassarius snails.And the Nassarius snails are by far the highest life rate after a week.They burrow and can walk on sand with easy.They are just down right sweet actually

The best snails, IME, are Trochus. A bit more pricey than Astrea or Turbos, but fully able to right themselves, and do 3x the work.
As others have said, Nassarius & Cerith are great if you have a DSB. Trochus will clean more of the glass/rockwork (similar to Turbo/Astrea).

HTH!

grrr wish i read this post before i got astrea snails... stupid things cant flip themselves over for their lives! i was rather pleased when some of my scarlet hermits did some of them in and took up residence in their shells.

Back
Top Bottom