Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have any room for anything larger

gplundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Selling Blue Tang

Then I would sell him before he gets larger and while he's still healthy. Tangs can be tricky, but IMO almost impossible to keep to adulthood in a system your size. You might try a Kole tang as they don't seem to require as much room to be happy. Your LFS should be spanked for selling you a blue tang for your 35, even a small one as they know how fast they grow. But their popularity sometimes outweighs common sense, so we see a lot of blue tangs with diseases. Mine went from 1" to 4" in about a year.

Gregcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
You should sell him now. They get stressed super easy and it could kill him.
Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by gplundberg View Post
So could I wait until he grows I about 5 to 6 inches and then sell him
Has he actually been cured or just at that cycle where the cysts aren't visible? Treating the tang for ich is more costly for you and stressful for the fish than counting your losses and finding a suitable home asap. I know. I battled treating mine using hyposalinity treatment and I had paid $100 AUD for him. He was much larger and I ended up advertising him for free, giving him to a more experienced aquariast who could sucessfully treat the ich and had the right size tank to keep him healthy. The LFS knew my tank size - 80gals and sold it to me when I first started buying my livestock and didn't research first.

IMO, the stress for the tang and also yourself when they get sick is not worth worrying about what you paid or possibly making a buck. The current tank is not getting bigger so I would recommend you get him off your hands asap. You will feel relieved in the end. Good luck- hope it works out for you

DI68 is offline   Reply With Quote

blue, blue tang, sell, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com