Selling Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gplundberg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I would like to sell my Blue Tang an wanted to know how much I could sell him for. He is about 3 1/2 inches right now if that helps. He has had a case of ich (per my knowledge I know that they get that a lot) and velvet. He is cured of both. He is in a 36 gallon tank, Petco employee told me it would fit so I got him but then I did my research afterwards and noticed that they new at least 150 gallons to be happy. When I sell him where could I sell him (LFS, Craigslist, etc) I do not want to ship him anywhere.

Thanks for the Help!

So could I wait until he grows I about 5 to 6 inches and then sell him

In a 35 gallon that would be a lot of stress placed on him. They need swimming room or they can get sick. I would move him to larger quarters ASAP.

Then I would sell him before he gets larger and while he's still healthy. Tangs can be tricky, but IMO almost impossible to keep to adulthood in a system your size. You might try a Kole tang as they don't seem to require as much room to be happy. Your LFS should be spanked for selling you a blue tang for your 35, even a small one as they know how fast they grow. But their popularity sometimes outweighs common sense, so we see a lot of blue tangs with diseases. Mine went from 1" to 4" in about a year.

Last edited:
So could I wait until he grows I about 5 to 6 inches and then sell him

Has he actually been cured or just at that cycle where the cysts aren't visible? Treating the tang for ich is more costly for you and stressful for the fish than counting your losses and finding a suitable home asap. I know. I battled treating mine using hyposalinity treatment and I had paid $100 AUD for him. He was much larger and I ended up advertising him for free, giving him to a more experienced aquariast who could sucessfully treat the ich and had the right size tank to keep him healthy. The LFS knew my tank size - 80gals and sold it to me when I first started buying my livestock and didn't research first.

IMO, the stress for the tang and also yourself when they get sick is not worth worrying about what you paid or possibly making a buck. The current tank is not getting bigger so I would recommend you get him off your hands asap. You will feel relieved in the end. Good luck- hope it works out for you :)

Back
Top Bottom