Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sergies 60 gallon Build!!!

Long story short, one of my friends wants to buy my 30 and another wants to buy my current set up 46 BF. Which leaves me with my 60 that's been in the basement. The tank is in great condition but the stand has some water damage that I need to reinforce. So I'm going to need some help along the way!

The reinforcement starts on Monday and hopefully I get the tank set up in it's new room.

Ordering an RODI recommended by Carey on Tuesday.

A have a sump I'll need help with. It's an oceanic Amiracle with three compartments and it looks like a stock protein skimmer. Should I invest in a new one? It's an overflow, I am afraid to drill...

I'm upgrading lighting to the aquaticlife 4 bulb T5HO with LED lunar lights. I want to do blue purple blue white. Does this sound good enough? Is there another fixture i should look at? This one is going to run me $386.

The return pump on the sump seems to work. So with that return, a 750 koralia and a 400 something, will that be enough flow? I'm thinking about buying 1000+ to add to the mix.

Stocking will include my current fish except the two damsels. 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, and a coral beauty. I want to do a school of 3 or 5 chromis. What other fish should I look at? I'm including my 10 hermits, 10 astraea snails, 10 nassaurius (sp), 2 emeralds. Any other CUC, or more of any already in there?

Join me on this ride! Any opinion and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would add another powerhead, maybe a koralia 750 or so, but thats about it, youseem to have it under control. The light fixture looks ok, thiugh if you spend a bit more you could prpbably get individual reflectors for the bulbs and really maximize your light. A 6 bulb fixture would be even better and allow you to kepp most anything you'd like.

Good luck, we want pictures! LOL

Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow that 6 bulb is only 140 more but it sounds awesome and that site has replacement bulbs shipped with it for free! I think I'll take it!

I have a aragonite and crushed coral in the 46, I'm not really a big fan of it. Could I do just sand?. I like the way it looks in my 10g.

I'll post some pics of the tank later tonight when I get home. I'm really excited about this!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think regular aragonite or pool filter sand is better than crushed coral in my opinion. I like the consistency better and crushed coral has been known to trap particles that can raise your nitrates.

The six bulb is a great light, and like I said you can grow a more varied collection of corals and even an anenome when and if the time comes you want one. The price difference is marginal when you get to over $300 or so so if you can I'd go for the better light. But if you have budget constraints the 4 bulb would be ok too.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm liking the 6 bulb fixture, but I think my 60 is 12 7/8" wide and the fixture is just over 13". Would that be overkill?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, thats would be a bit large I think...I'm in research mode so lemme see if I can find another unit thats comparable that won't take up the entire width lol

It's a 48" length is that right?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you! And yes it's 48". I know i should've waited for a deeper tank but this one was so cheap!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is what I'm getting so far

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

This one is a 4 bulb but is kinda cheap
Current USA Fluorescent Nova Extreme Fixtures

Aquarium T5 lights

Just some suggestions. The one above is only 11" I believe
Old 08-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm liking the 6 bulb one you posted. Although it says it's intended to be used with a completely covered aquarium...I was planning on leaving mine uncovered.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

From my understanding most fixtures say to have a covered tank. As long as it has a plastic or glass piece covering the bulbs I think youre ok. I do get alot of splash back on my 125g fixture so I'm for sure grateful for the plastic covering.

Tags
60 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com