serious design flaw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it just me, or are other people also amazed that the trochus snail has survived all these years? I swear, every other day I need to "rescue" one that has fallen on his back on the sand and can't get up. What do they do in the ocean, just lie there until someone eats them for breakfast?

That might be the case but I`m sure waves and water movement in the ocean help to make them move around and be upright.

You sure you're talking about trochus, and not astrea? In my experience, a trochus' foot can whip around and find just about anything to latch on to, and flip itself back over. Pretty limber guys. (Not saying I've never lost any due to "upside down syndrome". But it doesn't happen often.)

Astreas though... once they're upside down, they're pretty much toast if not found within a few hours. That's why I normally recommend trochus over astreas.

The outside portion of a trochus foot (not the part they "walk" on) is normally black. The same area of an astrea foot is tan, or tan/black mottled color.

Yes, they're definitely banded trochus snails. They only get into trouble when they fall on the sand, away from the glass or rock. And I've seen them try to whip themselves over, it looks exhausting!

Going by Kurt's descriptions... (the color of the foot), I guess my snails are Astreas... never had a problem with them not being able to right-side themselves. I find the pointy roof of theirs makes it so they fall on their sides, and their foot is able to find a way to get right-side up again.

Back
Top Bottom