Serious green algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crvz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been neglecting my tank for a while, as i am in between homes, and in my negligence i've developed a pretty good amount of what looks like a green algae, or green hair algae, i dont really know what its normally called. Its in a 58 gallon reef tank. Well, i am moving next week into a new home and am planning on cleaning it out as best i can. I've got a good amount of light on it, so i kind of expect this algae to continue to grow, and i would like to know what the best approach to minimizing this growth. The majority of it is on rocks, so its not a simple glass cleaning procedure. what critters in what quantity will do the best job? how often should i expect to replace/add more critters into the tank? Now that its going to be on display, i really want to make sure that its looking good.

fyi, the tank has a few fish in it (regal tang, tomato clown, six lin wrasse, 2 damsels), a nice bubble tip anemone, and a couple of sets of green star polyps and mushrooms. i like the way its set up, just want to eliminate the algae growth. i've had the tank for over a year, but the growth has really bloomed since i moved into this apartment six months ago and changed the bulbs in my PC lights.

My first question is what are you using for water......If tap have u tested to phosphates or silicates? these are the 2 major causes of problem algaes.
Try scrubbing the LR before you put the tank back together, get some ro, ro/di or kold steril water instead of tap if that what your using.
Some people use tap water for years with no problems, others use it once and get a algae bloom. Test the water.....

i've got an RO machine that i use pretty consistently, although when i first moved in i will admit to putting some tap water to top of the tank. for cleaners, i've leaned towards the red-legged hermits, but i have some other hermits in there too. also have a few horseshoe crabs and a sea star. using a variety of snails, too. does this help for a response?

Back
Top Bottom