Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Last time I did a large (20g) water change, I had some bad things happen in my tank, so I'm a little gunshy about doing it. I guess I'll need to make extra sure that the new water parameters match. That may have been my problem last time.
Matching ph/sg/temp is very important when doing pwc and any radical change or if you didn’t mix it for at least 12+ hours and preferably 24+ hours can cause a ton of stress to your livestock. If in doubt about matching ph/sg then I’d recommend a slightly lower sg versus a higher one. How do you mix it now and do you use a ph?

I’ve had 4+ snails die at one time causing a spike in no3 but not just one snail (unless it was one of those HUGE ones)

I’m more curious at what kind of stock fish/invert wise and what, how often, & how much do you feed your stock.

You must have at least a pre-filter for your sump to keep junk out of it. How often do you rinse that?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

your test might be bad have you verified its corect

Old 06-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
I say this tongue in cheek (hopefully your situation improves with the advice given already), but the other day at the LFS while perusing some frags, a guy comes in and gets his water checked... nitrates at about 800... so it could always be worse
Old 06-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I suppose it could be worse. Do they really make a test that goes that high? I can't imagine anything living in water with that much nitrate in it. Was his fish still alive?

I am preparing to do a large water change, in line with the method used to quickly reduce nitrates. It is currently my plan to do a 50% WC. I am currently making the water for doing this. I would reallylike to do even more but I don't have a container large enough to hold and mix the makeup water.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
They had something there that was accurate at high levels.. had to do the test several times.. basically off the scale I spose... the guy was doing huge water changes every few days too.. pretty much have to figure he had something seriously wrong, but yes, his fish were alive (no doubt due to the large influx of freshly prep'd water I guess).

I can't imagine how much could be alive, but that was the story

As for your WC, it sounds like a good idea.. do as big of one as you can and prep another for a few days down the road.. like maybe half of what you do the first time.. then keep stepping it down every few days until things remain stable, and keep a decent schedule of changes.

I pretty much change 10-20% in each of my 90g tanks every other week (have 2 tanks), and so far things remain in good balance even tho events arise (my skimmer in one recently started not working, fixed it after about a week..
Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clean your filtration system. Blow off detrius from the lr surfaces. If you can, siphon your substrate really well on the surface.

Change 20G pre-made, temperature adjusted, pH and salinity calibrated water...preferably pre-made more than 24 hours ago and properly aerated.

Do that 20G water change twice a week until you pretty much changed all the water in your tank. However, allow anywhere between 3 - 4 days in between water changes.

If your nitrates are still hovering in the 20s, use AZ NO3.

PS: If you can increase your powerheads, you might want to do that.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #17

Well, I am probably NEVER going to do another large water change ever again! After preparing 40g of water, in advance, matching PH, salinity, SG I did a large 40g water change last night. I did such a large change after reading so much about it. I woke up this morning and mmy turbo snails and two turtle conchs are all dead. But what is really worse is that for the past month or so I have been enjoying watching what amounts to literally a hundred or more baby trochus snails crawl around my tank and continue to thrive. Every single one was dead. I could not find a single surviving specimen. Fortunately, my fish seem ok, my BTAs appear ok and my corals, while they weren't opened up yet, also look allright. I'll know more later. Frankly, I am at a loss, and really disappointed right now.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
matching PH, salinity, SG
What about temp?

I would check for ammonia after all those deaths.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
matching PH, salinity, SG
What about temp?

I would check for ammonia after all those deaths.
Temp was dead on as well. Frankly, I don't understand it. I hate this hobby sometimes. It's very depressing. Whenever I have problems in my tank, things still seem to do OK. Then I screw with it and try to make it better and it only seems to get worse.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have scanned over this whole thread again. You need to take your water somewhere and get it tested. I would look for high silicates or some copper or other metal that does not belong there. Take it to a LFS if they offer the service to get an impartial battery of tests. Be interesting to post them all. Water changing, done properly, should not kill anything. Big changes in something that is way off to begin with will kill stock and it everything you post seems to lean more toward something either in your source water (Maybe being introduced by something your mixing with) or in your tank your not sharing with us. Be interesting to see your test results and maybe post a pic of your tank including all the equipment.

Peace.

Tags
nitrate, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com