Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Serious Nitrate Issues!

I have been trying to combat a serious rise in Nitrates over the past two days. I have only one thought of what may have caused it, but need some advice. Two days ago I started seeing elevated Nitrates, maybe 10-15. Yesterday that number had climbed to 20 so I did a 10g water change. I currently have about 90g of water volume between sump and tank. Tested again but saw no change. This evening I test again and the number has skyrocketed to 80! The one thing I can think of that may be causing this is I had a snail die on me the other day. Before I even knew it, my cleanup crew had it out of the shell and was picking every scrap clean that they could find. Could this be the reason for the extra bioload? I see no increase in ammonia or nitrites. I changed another 5g today and need to check levels again. I have tested my new water and it is zero on the nitrates. Anyone have any ideas here? All of my other water parameters are acceptable, just too much Nitrate. Until now I never had a nitrate reading higher than 5. This tank has been setup since February after migrating from another tank. I have been fighting a cyano problem for a while. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #2

I am in the same boat right now...just not as bad...my nitrate levels are around 15-20 on my 46 gal bowfront. It has been set up for about three months and had fully cycled around 3-4 weeks....all my water parameters looked good but nitrates have steadily been on the rise....I tested my water supply and am at a 0. PWC every week and helps drop it about 5ppm, but keeps rising....any suggestions?

Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #3

I rechecked the level just now and while it appears to be lower than before, it is still between 40 and 80. That's all the test kit reads. Such a huge range. I suppose I'm doing 5g water changes every day until it comes down to an acceptable level.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #4

Thats my plan as well...had a 30 gallon batch of saltwater brewing the past three days. 10 gal PWC's a day until they are down...gotta love those nitrates....they are not as bad for the fish, but any inverts and corals will suffer in the long run...I have been lucky so far. Good luck to you!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I suppose I'm doing 5g water changes every day
You're not changing enough at a time. Five gal. is barely over 5% of 90 gal. I think you should be doing more like 20 g. at a time (a little over 20%) That's what I change in my 75 (over 15 g. each time). It'll take forvever for the nitrates to drop with such small changes.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i agree start doing 20-25g changes untill its under control,i highly doubt a snail is any of the cause but it could be a million other things
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Change or remove any filter media. Filters harbor trash like no ones business. I learned this the hard way...If its been in there a month, it needs changed or removed. I also agree with the volume of water changes being far too low.

Peace.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

movinweight your problem could be related to you biowheel if your using the filter pads filterpads are good at their job thay collect wast and since your clean up crew cant get to it its converted into nitrate

p.s. youll get better ansers if you fill out your myinfo things like lighting filters skimmers lr ls fish inverts the more the better
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

i forgot probably not the dead snail not if your clean up crew picked it apart i lose a snail once in a while (stupid conehead snails) with no change
Old 06-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #10

I have no mechanical filter media in my tank. I have run a canister in the past but removed it completely since I added my sump. I have about 90 lbs of fiji LR and 3-4 inches of aragonite substrate. Last time I did a large (20g) water change, I had some bad things happen in my tank, so I'm a little gunshy about doing it. I guess I'll need to make extra sure that the new water parameters match. That may have been my problem last time.

Tags
nitrate, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com