Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2004, 02:44 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
i wouldn't risk it. thats a large investment and should the floor fail, even bend slightly, the whole tank could topple.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to JJCRIC
I have a 125 gal reef tank with LS 100lbs LR a 40 gal long sump and I do 35 gal water changes on the second floor in my house. So far I have no problems (knock on wood) it is a new house (built in 2001) and I just have the perfect room up there for it. I just advised my Insurance co. to make sure I would be covered. So far all I have messed up was I forgot to turn off the RO faucet when I was filling the barrel for a water change one day and I left the house. It overflowed and leaked down to the basement. Now I have a water spot about 12 inches in my first floor hall ceiling. My wife was not too happy, but she's the one that wanted it upstairs.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
i'm hearing the same from other forums. right up to the 150gl level.

i'm going to give him a call later today, i think he has a contractor coming out either today or tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
What is the footprint of the tank?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

the footprint is 72x24x24
Old 07-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

The aquarium with water in it would weigh about 1750 pounds. If you figure extra water, a person, rock equipment, base et al you could figure about 3000 pounds. Take the footprint of the aquarium, and you get about 250 pounds per square foot. Typical houses are built for a 45 pounds per square foot live load. Depending on if the joists were running perpendicular or parallel to the aquarium it might be ok. Not knowing the location or joist alignment though still makes it close. Think about is as per a large book case or a water bed.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think a floor could hold it. I know lots of people that are a bit more than 250 pounds per square foot . Maybe you could get a 6 or 7 of them to stand in a 6'x2'x2' foot area for a couple days for a structural test....
Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the tips...

i forwarded them all to him. he has a contractor coming out tomorrow to give him an opinion. he has to get everything moved quick cause he has to be out by next monday. i'm helping him move this weekend....

Tags
rio, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com