serious tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey-

a close friend of mine has a large 200gl reef tank in his home. he is currently going thru a divorce and will be moving into his parents 2nd story condo that they normally rent.

he is concerned about living on the second story condsidering his 200gl tank weighs close to a ton with everything in it. what is the biggest tank any of you have heard of being used in a second story apt/condo/townhouse/etc?

he really doesn't want to sell it as it is pretty much the only thing he is keeping in the divorce

No experience here (though I can tell you I have nightmares about our 46 gallon freshwater falling through our first floor) but I did hear someone say once that they couldn't have tanks above a certain size in a rental property. Not sure this applies to his situation but it's probably best to check first.

thats what i'm figuring. just got off the phone with him and it doesn't say anything in the condo by-laws. he told me he is going to try and contact the contractor and see if they can give him an explanation...

sucks though, he's had the tank longer than he had been married (10 years) and now becuase of the marriage i think he may have to ditch it...

he may want to contact the local city building / code engineer / inspector and have them come out and inspect the condo....this is a lot of weight so he should get a qualified person to look IMO

Why not you or one of his friends take it off his hands for the time being? And when he gets settled he can have it back.

Anything above 100g is highly unrecommended. Even 100g is kind of dangerous, but I did keep one in a 2nd story apartment with no problem. It's not just the water weight, but the sand, rocks, and weight of you as you're cleaning the tank and looking at the fish. Don't forget the bucket to change the water will weigh over 300lbs as well if you're doing 30 or above gallon water changes, and the weight of the sump if he has one.

i agree nightspirit...especially since this is a reef tank and has at least a couple hundred pounds worth of reef in it...

so around 100gallons would be the limit? i think me may have a contractor coming out tomorrow to check out his parents condo.

i'd love to, but i already have a 150gl with a 2 oscars, a JD, GT and a 18 inch clown knife and a 280gl on the way. and a 11 month old son that feels the need to destroy anything and everything he can...lol

i'd love to help him out, but i know nothing about saltwateer tanks, and none of our friends want the responsibility of a 200 gallon reef tank.

I'm actually in the same situation. I just got a 200g and am having some people come check out my house. A local guy that has some kind of structural wood engineering degree wants $250 to check out my house 8O

I would contact a local engineer to look at the situation. Just because it is on the second floor doesn't mean it isn't safe it depends on where

If he says NO try to find out what you would need to do to make it safe. It might be a simple fix that you culd take care of yourself.

that could be a huge mess and when the contractor comes to inspect does he take monetary responsibility or does he just come out and say yes or no for 250 bucks

Divorce - the gift that keeps on giving :roll:

I personally wouldn't risk it.. maybe upto 100 gal but definitely not 200 gal.

Hey, can someone merge the two topics please?

Back
Top Bottom