Seriously sick, or pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed tonight my PJ cardinal is *extremely* swollen up.

This fish is a little beat up - it got caught in an overflow, and ended up going down to the sump, one of it's fins was sheared off almost completely.

That was 6 months ago, it recovered fine.

Anyone thing this is a pregnancy, or a serious infection of some sort? If it's an infection, I should probably quanantine it. If it's pregnant, I should probably quarantine it (or wait for the other fish to have a nice snack).

Also, excuse the cyano and algae - I know it looks bad, but it happens every time after I do a PWC with reef crystals salt. I'm shopping for new salt, but that's another discussion (please).

It's an established tank - 180G, 1.5 years old, with most rock and sand >4 years old, and with several flourishing bubbletips (almost 10" across now). All typical tests are good - pH 8.3, NO3 almost non-existent, etc.

DSC03692.JPG

Also - the swelling is perfectly symmetrical from a front view. She (it?) is eating fine, and out and about, not at all shy for a PJ Cardinal.

Hmmm, I'm not the expert on pregnant fish. What is chewing on it's tail fin?
What are your exact reading on your tests...sometimes "good" is not always right?

It's been a few weeks, but <5 NO3 (working on it), PH 8.3, SG 1.024, trites and ammonia non-existent (of course). I havent checked alkalinity in awhile.

Not 100% sure about the tail - I've not seen any aggression towards him/her.

I suspect my niger trigger or imperator.

FYI - I have another PJ cardinal which is flawless - not a scratch, and much larger. This little guy has just had a rough go at it.

Back
Top Bottom