serpent star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a brown serpent star and was wondering what i need to feed it? it seems that when i feed the damsels brine shrimp it comes out and starts "waving" its legs all around as if tring to get the food (it never gets any because the damsels get it before the star does) do i need to "hand" some down to it or will it scavange for left overs? if i do need to feed it seprate what should i give to it?

It is their job to scavenge for food. I have 5 serpent stars and 3 brittle stars. I tend to overfeed, so I know they get fed. The behaviour you are seeing is normal. No matter what I feed, they come out and try to grab some choice pieces. If you arent seeing it get food, you may want to make sure at least a couple of times a week that you "accidently" overfeed...just my two cents....although the thought of overfeeding might definitely make some of the folks around here shudder, the mom in me cannot stand to see anything go hungry.

Once in awhile we give are Brittle Star a peice of shrimp or silverside, Makes him very happy :D

In a reef tank with an functioning DSB, there is (practically) no such thing as over feeding. The filter feeding corals will eat particles in suspension and sand fauna (as well as other scavangers) will clean up what hits the bottom. "Over" feeding will simply cause the sand fauna's population to increase to take up the slack.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom