Serpent star question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a serpent star.... or at least I think it is... one quarter sized disc with wormy limbs.... it's greyish with darker horizontal stripes on the legs..... I got it to take care of detrius and any leftovers....

My question is... is this sucker reef safe????

I'm not 100% sure, but I think almost ALL stars and such inverts are reef safe. At least I have been told by more than one person that my brittlestar would be reef safe.

After some searching I think it's a "Fancy Brittle Sea Star"....... so reef safe ???

From Saltwater.about.com

Most all Brittle and Serpent Stars of the genera Ophionereis, Ophioderma, Ophiocoma and Ophiarachna are good non-aggressive reef tank scavengers, with the exception of the very controversial Green Brittle Star (Ophiarachna incrassata), and possibly other Ophiarachna sp., because it has been reported to attack, capture and eat unwary fish

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/starfishcare/l/blstarfam_ophiu.htm

as far as INTENTIONALLY reef safe I'd say yes. As far as accidentally if it's a serpent, I'd say watch that thing around LPS ............ Then again, the only serpent star I've ever seen was one that a guy brought to my lfs after it rolled over his bubble coral and sliced it all up.

Back
Top Bottom