serpent starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking about getting one for my 20 gallon tank. Right now I have 2 clowns and 2 chromis with an assortment of snails and a shrimp. Also a couple of zoa frags. Would it get along with my occupants ?

If you are wanting a starfish then a serpent is the easiest one and it should be fine with your current critters. :)
You can use long tweezers to feed it small chunks of seafood, really neat to watch. :)

Thanks Carey.
You seem to be my go to person for info. Last night I asked you about my clowns and their eating habit. Today they seem to be a little more sociable and came out to eat as soon as I shut off the filters. I bought some frozen brine shrimp and they seem to like it but I read somewhere, it's not very nutritious. Is this true and if so, what's a good frozen food for my clowns and chromis ? Also...just got back from sea in the city. Bought a new addition for my tank....a peppermint shrimp..

It's good for all your livestock to vary the food. For brine and mysis, you want to get them gut loaded so there is some actual nutritional value to them. Like putting bacon on a salad.

Serpent stars are pretty easy to care for. I have one and a large bristle in my 55 reef. Only see them when I feed, and usually only the bristle. I've thought the serpent died many times and then comes out to say hi once and awhile. Did too good of a job building my aquascape I think, but he'll hide in the rocks and stick his arms out to feed.

Brine isnt the top food you can feed, try mysis or even pemysis if you can. I also get rods food sometimes, it has big chunks of seafood and algae in it but its very pricey, like $20 for a frozen pouch. I feed mysis, brine and bloodworms every day with supplemental feedings of rods food. All my fish really seem to like it and its got plenty of nutrients that way.
As the clowns become more accustomed to their new home they will venture out more and more but dont be surprised if they tend to stay in one spot alot of the time, just their nature. lol

Hey Carey.
I have a container of freeze dried blood worms that I bought for my fresh water fish but they didn't seem to care for it. Can I give it to my clowns ?

You can try, my fish dont care for them either. lol I have had great luck with freezdried plankton. at least with my big fish. Even my squirrel fish eats that and he only eats frozen. lol

Back
Top Bottom