seting up a s/w aquarium from scratch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol yeah it looks really cool. when i first looked at it i was like "is that an octopus!?!" but then i luaghed, knowing that wasnt plausible.

ok ive seen this crab and i cant get a chance to get a picture its small about the size of a thumb nail and its a browny bage colour. i think its eaten the worm thing cause its gone! ill kepp trying to get a picture tho

One thing about the crab.. does it have black colored claws? If it does, its bad for your tank, and you should kill it, take it out, or whatever you do, just make sure you take it out of your tank because it could go after fish, shrimp, and other crabs as well as corals when you get them all. If the color of the claws is generally the same color as its body, then its fine.

havent seen him in days now i think hes too fast for me. lol i dont think his claws are black but i could be mistaken. also igot mor lr what you think

Attachments

• DSCF1747.jpg
    DSCF1747.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 83
I think it looks awesome. You certainly did a great job on it so far.

Looks pretty nice. Remember during the cycle all you need to worry about is the Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. All other parameters will bounce all around. Just worry about those three.

k this is just wierd the worm thing is back but i think its a different one, its green and i wonderd if anyone can id this green stuff its iluminous almost stuff.and also this white stuff it looks like fine cob web in all the holes in one rock?

Attachments

• DSCF1764.jpg
    DSCF1764.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF1761.jpg
    DSCF1761.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF1772.jpg
    DSCF1772.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 89
help!!!! my tank is changing by the day im overun with algea and bubble weed and thid brown hair stuff on the sand. can anyone advise me what to do?

Attachments

• DSCF1781.jpg
    DSCF1781.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF1784.jpg
    DSCF1784.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1779.jpg
    DSCF1779.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 96
The stuff on the sand looks like cyano to me. That's caused by nitrates and excess nutrients in the water column. It would be best to get as much of it out as you possibly can. However you do it is up to you, but its more common for people to just vacuum it out. You could also use a fish net, and just dig under that portion of it in the sand, and when you bring it up, it will let all of the sand fall out, but will trap the cyano in the net. That's the way i did it lol. The illuminous stuff just looks like some form of algae to me.. nothing to fret over.. unless it starts taking over your entire tank. The cobweb stuff you are seeing over the holes in the live rock etc.. is most likely just sponges. I hear that sponges just come and go in aquariums, and most of the ones that do appear, don't last very long. So don't bug out if you see spider webs in your tank haha.

Bubble algae is bad lol. But i know that emerald crabs love to eat it.. soo maybe get a couple? You should also be happy that, that crab you found was dead. If you look at its claws, they are black. Any crabs with black tipped claws are usually bad for aquariums. Eating fish, inverts, and corals if you have them. If he wasn't dead, you would have had to remove him eventually when you started noticing your livestock dissapearing lol.

wow thanks a bunch. ill try to get most of it out. i was looking at a hop filter with a built in nano skimmer do you think its worth getting?

Well, it would certainly add to your list of current filtration systems. So i don't see why it would be bad idea. If it's in your budget and you want it, i'd say go for it.

right the cycling has finnished and i want a clean up crew. just want to run it by you guys to see if they will all get along happily.
1 emerald crab
1 cleaner shrimp
3 or 4 snails (not sure what type yet, suggestions would be appritiated).

right i got my clean up crew and they dont seem to be active at all the cleaner shrimp is hiding and wont come out, the turbo snails arent moving andt the emerald crab is hiding and isnst moving and my two small hermit crabs are not realy moving much. i thought that they might be adjusting to the tank and water or they might be noctunal? can anyone help i dont realy want them to just die?

ok this is unbelevable i havent even had the cleaner shrimp a day. the hole it was hiding in just so happend to be the home of a hitchiking crab. now he has not tail! so i took the rock out of the tank to get the evil one out. im so anoyed he'll probably die now thats £20 down the drain!!! god dam crab.

Back
Top Bottom