Setting up a 29g reef tank and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my mother expressed interest in setting up a salt water tank and asked me if she could have my empty 20g high tank and wal mart steel frame stand. While it worked awesomely for me for a number of years; now that I graduated and have a decent job there's no way am I giving her that for her first fish tank

So that being said, I am going to surprise her with a 29g drilled tank which is the biggest that will fit in the space provided. Along with that, I will shoot for a 10g sump.

So here's where the advice that I need comes in since I've been away for quite some time.

What would you guys use for:

Return pump (Needs to be very quiet)
LED Light (Needs to fit inside a canopy and be able to sustain corals)
Protein skimmer

Great to see you back :) I thought you were downsizing a tank there for a second. Have you looked at any options?

Is there a max price? I know this is absolutely ridiculous to suggest because of their price but the radions are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great to see you back :) I thought you were downsizing a tank there for a second. Have you looked at any options?

Great to be back, I am downsizing the number of tanks, increasing the size of remaining tanks. Planning on upgrading my 90g reef to a 125g reef which is gonna take me quite a while to acquire.

As to the options on this tank,

For lighting after a bit of research I'm considering doing 2 Kessil 160w lights. She has expressed interest in getting an anemone and I think that will be enough to get her there. The radions are an interesting suggestion, I am gonna have to take a few to look at those.

As for the other options, I am still not sure. Probably going to look at a reef octopus skimmer because I have a HOB version of one and am happy with its functionality.

Its a hard pick between kessel and radion, but don't forget the Chinese knock off panels. I'm a fan of my radions but if you can save a couple hundred bucks and put it into one of your system combines...

Its a hard pick between kessel and radion, but don't forget the Chinese knock off panels. I'm a fan of my radions but if you can save a couple hundred bucks and put it into one of your system combines...

The Chinese panels are great if you're looking to save money, but out of the 3 I have none of the fans are very good and make way too much noise. I'm positive the fan noise would end up being irritating to her.

Back
Top Bottom