Setting up a hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the equipment to setup a hospital tank. but I don't want to have to leave it running all the time. I was advicse that I could use some of my tank water and that would be sufficient. So do a 50/50 mix of tank water and fesh batch of salt water. Is that ok to do that. Should I also take some bioballs from my sump and put those in the filter or what?

How do most people setup a hospital tank/quarantine tank and how big is it usually?

Thanks
Christina

The size of the tank depends on the stock you are putting in it. The 50/50 mix is what I do, it works fine. I wouldn't worry about the bioballs, however that might work. I just keep a small sponge in my sump, when I need a qt tank I take the sponge and put it in the qt 's filter. Don't need to keep the tank up all the time with this method.
However if you are going to be treating with meds, the bacteria will be killed off anyway. Ammonia and nitrite would need to be controlled through water changes.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom