setting up a "nemo" tank...not possible right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a friend who just bought a 100gal salt water setup. she wants to do a tank like the tank in Finding Nemo. I told her it wasn't possible. She said she looked it up and said that it would be fine. I am no expert on saltwater fish and tanks but I think shes in for it if she actually goes through with this. Basically, I'm just trying to get proof from you guys out there in the saltwater world that it cant be done.
She doesnt believe me, what can I do to stop her from making a huge mistake?

I already told her to start off that she couldnt have a puffer in a tank with other fish and she just laughed at me. lol

To be honest to you I`ve never seen that movie sorry to say. Can you or others post what fish were in the tank?

clownfish, starfish, royal gramma, three stripe damsel, yellow tang, blue tang, butterfly fish, a puffer (dont know what species but i know not compatible) and theres another fish but i dont remember what kind it is

Some of those do have a few problems. The survival rate of a moorish idol is extremely poor. They dont make it in captivity that often. There is one that looks like it but I cant remember the name of it. I`ll look it up. They have a better rate of survival. The butterfly fish is not reef safe so if you are talking reef here then that wont work. The puffer might be OK but you wont be able to have a clean up crew as he will consume them. And last but not least the starfish needs a mature tank of at least 1 yr old. Just some of the things I see.

its a plain old porcupine puffer, and the moorish look alike youre thinking of i think is a heniochus(sp?) butterfly fish, i dont think a tank that size could support all of those fish, but thats just my opinion

There's an article out there about how impossible the tank in "Finding Nemo" would be. I wasn't able to find it just now, but it's an interesting read. I think some of the highlights were:

- The moorish idol probably wouldn't survive. They're very delicate.
- The puffer would eat the shrimp.
- The tank is too small for a tang.
- The starfish isn't reef safe.
- The royal gramma and the damsel wouldn't get along.

I'm sure there's more.

What do you know? I found another article: The Nemo Tank Guide

maybe ill print that out for her, she doesnt have a computer she did the research at her now ex's house. thanks for the help guys

Yes the moorish idol look alike I was going to say the longfin bannerfish but they are the same. She does need to research this more.

ya, shes never had fish, and basically what she wants to do is "out do me" lol its like a contest to her to see whos tank is the best and because im not a saltie thats whats she wants to do. her view on everything is that a fish is a fish. theyre all the same except for color/shape/size....shes quite blonde....no offense to anyone out there who is blonde and smart. lol but shes def not using her brain right now.

The tank in finding Nemo was a lot smaller then yours... you could probably house the tang in your tank. But the other incompatibilities are still there... personally I would not have a damsel in my tank...(except cromis, a smaller fish in the damsel family)

Back
Top Bottom