Setting up a Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrkjsn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've never read any articles stating whether or not to use sand. Should I?

Also, I have a tang that looks like it has ich. I put it in a quarantine (without sand) but it doesn't seem happy being in there.

there is an article on this site that outlines how to setup a QT.

generally, you will want a bare bottom tank, a basic hang on filter, a heater, a thermometer, and some PVC pipe fittings to provide hiding spots for your livestock. lighting is not required but if you have it, use it.

remember to QT your fish for several weeks to ensure they are healthy and disease free. i usually go for 4 weeks, however, i have heard that even that may be too short.

oh, and the size of your QT is going to be based on the livestock you keep. i have all small fish at the moment, so i use a 10 gallon tank for my QT. however, if you are keeping larger species, you may want to have a 29 gallon or even a 55 gallon for a QT... it all depends on your unique situation.

~mike

Here is the article mentioned above.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17
Definitely no sand or any porous items. If you need to treat with meds, these items will absorb the medication and mess up the treatment.
for the Tang in QT, get some PVC elbows, these make wonderful little "caves" for a shy Tang to hide in. Will take a lot of the stress out of the situation for him.

Back
Top Bottom