Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Setting up a SW Tank

I want to set up my first salt water tank because I've had three FW tanks and they all have been amazing and fun experiences! I don't know what I need I want a small tank I was planning on using a 20 gallon that I have so what do I need, I am talking tell me everything from chemicals to the water to filtration to sand to decor, etc.. I have no idea how to start one up because not sure of materials required if you could help me so that I don't waste money, time, and end up killing a fish I would appreciate it! I love salt water tanks I finally believe it's time to get one of my own! Thanks! -Matt

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is so much to tell! There are some great articles on here about how to set up and maintain a salt water tank so check them out then come back as ask specific questions. There are huge differences between salt and fresh so try and do plenty of research before buying, also there are many different ways to set up a tank. You will need to decide first if you want to keep fish only (fowler) or a reef - that will determine filtration and lighting needs. It's not cheap and can be time consuming but is wry rewarding! Good luck

Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will have to read on the internet bro... This is heavier cost than FW, depends on what you want.

For corals keeping you need high lighting including actinic and white colors bulbs/MH/LEDs
For fish only you can go with what light you want

Biological filtration is most of the time done by the Live Rocks, some hightech setup include bios medias into a sump.

Do you want a sump ?

Mechanical filtration is usually done by protein skimming, with protein skimmers. Regular filters pads need to be cleaned each 1-3 days, depends.... Maybe more...

Temperature must be 24-27C, PH 8.0,8.4. Saltwater must be prepared before WCs, must buy an hygrometer to make sure you have good salinity...

for a 20g, two clownfish and some easy corals like frogspawn, hammers, torchs are good for beginner...

You need a cleaning crew (optionnal but very very very helpfull) like snails, shrimps or stars like brittle stars.

QT tank is optionnal but very usefull... You can start by trying a 20g setup, then upgrade to bigger setup if you like it and keep the 20g for QT....

How much gallon do you want ? 20g cost 300-1000$, 90g cost around 2000-15000$

Price/gallon is exponential.

Personally, I started a new 20g, with all new equipement, hightech tank without sump.

20g tank + R420R 60w led light (300$) + 50g HOB skimmer + LR and LS + powerhead(s) (I suggest two small like 240GPH) cost me around 1000$ only for equipement.

Add 50$ for two clownfish, 15$ a tiny frogspawn, 20$ zoa frag, 25$ birdsnest that's now dying because I didn't know for light acclimatation...

That look like this:

It's normal you don't see corals on the first pic, I didn't bought them when I took picture. That's my 20g SW and 29g FW.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow thanks so much I will look around
Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandmyoscars View Post
Wow thanks so much I will look around
Don't do like me... I invested in a FW 29g hightech heavy planted... cost around 1500$... I did that because I found SW too expensive... At the end of the line I finished up with a 29g FW, 10g FW QT and a 20g SW...

I just owned my 20g and I already want to upgrade 75G hightech SW. If you're in the hobby, take the time to take the biggest tank you can afford, so you won't become tired of this tank.

You can start with a 20g SW just to see if you like it... Do you plan reef or fish only ?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Over plan and over think the little things is what I can say. Also don't get attached to a small tank, your gonna wanna upgrade right away.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My 90 gallon sw only cost around $600 not new equipment of course

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was talking about new equipement, for sure you can check on your local used selling websites... Here we have kijiji.com

If you just want to try it, then buy used stuff, you'll like that, buy bigger new and used stuff !

Tags
setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com