Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Did you test your water? If so, what are the results?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
No I just put the water into the QT tank and the biowheels and LS in there 2 days ago. No need to test is there?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

I believe, if you have nitrItes or nitrAtes, you should have a partially cycled tank, in the event of the presence od trItes, if trAtes, you should be pretty much complete, and not have to worry about the shrimp. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will test then for both trates and trites. However being that my water in the QT tank came from my main, the LS came from the main, and the 2 biowheels came from the main, why would I have anything other than 0 of everything? I have nothing in my main - not even trates.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I will test then for both trates and trites. However being that my water in the QT tank came from my main, the LS came from the main, and the 2 biowheels came from the main, why would I have anything other than 0 of everything? I have nothing in my main - not even trates.
I agree, but you never know. It could be possible that you didn't move enough LR/LR to "speed up" the cycle, or you could have done just enough to get it part way there. I like to be on the safe side. You might want to test for ammonia, just in case.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I will test for everything. However I still think Im going to get a shrimp tomorrow and throw it in there for a few days. I TOO want to make sure. This tang is very healthy and I dont want to mess it up for sure when I put it in there.
Also another topic....if I have to treat, I do cupramine. I have had a bottle of this stuff for 2 years now. I assume its still good as well as the test kit??
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sorry, I can't help you there, other than, is there an expiration date? If not, is there a number you can call and ask? I'm not good with meds, I tend to prefer the natural method...kind of like the ocean does it. Hopefully someone with better experience will come along and share.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so since I have not done this before, I went and bought a jumbo gulf shrimp from Albertsons this morning. It was in the fresh seefood section - sort of like the deli where all of the fish/shrimp are laid out for you to look at. I didnt want to buy anything frozen as it has preservatives added to it. This shrimp I bought is minus the head and still has the shell on it. Do I peel it, rinse it, boil it?? Anything?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Yep. Boil that bad boy and add some Old Bay seasoning, get you a beer and some cocktail sauce..... OOPS, sorry. We're talking about for the fish tank. Got lost there for a minute.

Rinse it and just drop it in the tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another quick question. I notice that since I dropped the shrimp in there yesterday that the water has gotten cloudy. Is this normal?
Also I took an ammonia reading and so far its 0 and also no nitrite... Should I test for anything else yet?

Tags
qt tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com