Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

All is OK. No other tests needed. You'll see the ammonina first.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I will see the ammonia IF the cycle needs to happen. Again I wonder if I have enough bacteria base that it will not cycle.
Also as I asked previously, does the water turn cloudy for any reason once you put the shrimp in there? I know its not the shrimp particles floating around as I put it inside of a baggie and slit a bunch of holes in it. I didnt want to have to pick out peices of shrimp for the next week once it started rotting!!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't say I remember cloudiness with my cycle. Good idea with the baggie! I remember when I went to fish out that shrimp at the end of my cycle. It looked so solid before I touched it with a spoon!

If you do already have a bacterial base, then you're right - you won't see any ammonia. But that's easy enough to check for if you check for nitrates along with everything else. If you see an increase in nitrates with ammonia/nitrites staying at zero then you definitely have a good supply of beneficial bacterial.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I figure I will test my water for everything on say Tues as this will be 3 days with the shrimp in there.
Yes I have a baggie with the shrimp in there as well as a baggie with some LS in it. Course I have the top of the baggie unzipped and is open but I dont want the sand to be clouding up the tank. I think this may be SOME of my cloudiness but doenst look to bad just yet. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry, I think in my last post I wuz too lazy to go back and read again about the bio-media already in the tank. You got rock, bio media in the filter, and did you say sand earlier? (too lazy to go back again )

I'm starting to think that if there's no ammonia this evening, I'd remove the shrimp and consider the tank cycled.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have LS, 2 biowheels that were in my sump for 3+ months as a bacteria base. The LS is in a sandwich baggie with the top opened so it lets water in and around the sand, but the sand doesnt get everywhere.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Cool 'cause you should remove it if you ever treat with meds. particularly copper i believe.

Didja remove the shrimp? I think it'd be OK.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah thats why I went with sand instead of LR as its easy and cheap to replace. Also the biowheels are no biggie either. Save them for next time.
No I left the shrimp in there just to make sure. I took an ammonia reading again tonight and still at 0. I figure I will leave it in there through Wed afternoon and then pull it. Shouldnt hurt. Call me crazy but I want to make SURE its cycled!! I figure the cup of LS and biowheels have done the job...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I figure the cup of LS and biowheels have done the job...
yep. I'd say that if a 2" piece of shrimp is decaying in your tank for 3 days so far with no trace of ammonia, you're well cycled. Now I think I'd start watching the nitrates to make sure they don't go up too high.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well its more like 3" on the shrimp size!!
I will take it out tomorrow for sure. Also if my nitrates ARE high should I do a partial water change?

Tags
qt tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com