Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #41
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Also if my nitrates ARE high should I do a partial water change?
Yes. That would be best. If you are at 20ppm, maybe do a 50%, to get them to 10ppm.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Ok so as I was about to take the shrimp out tonight, I decided to test the water. I show I now have .8 or above on ammonia and between 40 and 60 nitrates. So appears I didnt have enough bacteria base in there after all.
So do I leave the shrimp in there now? Or take it out and let the tank do its thing? The shrimp has been in there since this past Sat. 10-28
What else do I need to do?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

Take the shrimp out. There's is enuf ammonia in there to finish. After the ammonia comes down, the nitrites go up and come back down - then you'll have the bacteria base you're looking for.

But yes, Take the shrimp out. Your ammonia is already at the top of the chart and you're prolonging things unecessarily IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
But yes, Take the shrimp out. Your ammonia is already at the top of the chart and you're prolonging things unecessarily IMO.
Ammonia at 0.8 is "top of the chart?" Granted, you normally don't want any in there, but I was thinking this could be considered "a trace" during cycling.

I hear what you're saying though. When I cycled my QT, I left the shrimp in too long and got ammonia levels between 4 and 6ppm. While still not at the top of the chart, it did prolong my cycle. When I finally did a couple water changes to bring it down to about 2ppm, my cycle finally kicked in to high gear. Don't really know if it would've kicked in regardless of the water changes, but it did seem rather coincidental.

Austinsdad - did you misread his ammonia level in the post, or is my sense of "good" ammonia levels during a cycle just totally off base? You've got way more experience than me, and I'm always looking to learn!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

You're right. I did misread - or just mis-assumed that a 3" shrimp would stink it up enuf in there to drive it to the top (8.0). Keep forgetting about the bio-media in the tank.

If it is .8 indeed, I'd still take the shrimp out and watch the nitrites now. If they are at zero also, then I'd guess the tank is cycled. Then, we gotta get the water changes together to get that nitrate down (and remove the shirmp - did I say that already??)

Hey, 8) we may be talking cleaning crew and a (that's one) fish in a few days.

Hmmm. Got a test to show amounts that small? Assuming .8. Or maybe, like I do - "well it's between .50 and 1.0".
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, Cool we may be talking cleaning crew and a (that's one) fish in a few days.
psst....I believe it's a QT....no cleaning crew needed....LOL!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

That's it!! I've had it. I always knew I had this "lazy about reading previous post" disorder. Now, everyone knows it!!!!

I'm gonna see the veteranarian about it ASAP. Oops, I meant physician!

I'll get better someday.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #48
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
That's it!! I've had it. I always knew I had this "lazy about reading previous post" disorder. Now, everyone knows it!!!!

I'm gonna see the veteranarian about it ASAP. Oops, I meant physician!

I'll get better someday.
LOL!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
The .8 is the highest level on my ammonia chart so Im maxed out.
So I took the shrimp out, and I assume I will wait a day or so and test again?
Also where does the bacteria build? On the media I assume but since I only have 2 biowheels, some LS and some PVC, I guess it builds on there? I have heard conflicting stories that the bacteria builds in the water, on the media and tank, etc. I would think if the bacteria were in the water, then why would my tank need to cycle at all since the water came from the main?
So how long do I need to wait to add a fish? Guess it depends?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

What brand ammonia test you got there? 0.8ppm should not be maxed out. Are you sure that's not 8.0 ppm? Like Austinsdad said, 0.8 is not normally listed on the charts - but a lot of us kind of estimate when the color is between colors on the chart. "Well... it's higher than 0.5, but lower than 1.0... but it's closer in color to 1.0, so let's call it 0.8"... that kind of thing.

In your case, the bacteria will build on the biowheel and in the sand. That's it. Granted... it's probably in the water, but not in the quantities you need to convert the ammonia to nitrates.

Don't add fish until both your ammonia AND nitrites drop to zero. Ammonia will spike first, then come down. As ammonia is coming down, nitrites will spike, then come down. Eventually they'll both be at zero, and you'll have a bunch of nitrates. Judging by your previous nitrate readings you'll have a BUNCH of nitrates! Do 50% water changes, one a day, until you get down somewhere below 10 (even lower if you want to be kind to your new fish!) and you're good to go.

Tags
qt tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com