Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I did confirm that it is 0.8 and is at the top of the chart. Its DARK green. The brand is Aquarium Systems - made by Instant Ocean.
I willl do another test today and see where I am.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... I guess I learned something new today. Didn't know that brand had such low sensitivity. I suppose that's good in a way since you can detect really small traces. That will be good for a cycled tank.

If you're really curious what the true ammonia level is, you could pick up a different test kit with a lower sensitivity. I use Aquarium Pharmceuticals brand and it maxes out - I think - at 8.0. Really easy to use.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #53
AA Team Emeritus

I checked this site out. Looks like Fishman is right. Look at the attached. It speaks about .25 being a serious stress level, and 0 to 0.8 being the range. My kit is 8.0 max. Hmmm....

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/order...test_kits.html

Guess I always thought that big a shrimp in for that time, you'de be at the top of whatever scale.

Anyway fishman, dark green seems to be the universal fit here, so you are at the top of the chart. I don't know much about bio wheels, but you'll have the bacteria grow there (and the bag of sand if I remember).

Like said, the ammonia will creep down as the nitrites will creep up. Both at zero and you're ready to add fish. After you do, whatch the ammonia again.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also one of the reasons I bought this particular test kit is its powder form instead of drops. I have found that the powder really gives a good reading...maybe its just me.
I figure since the ammonia was at the top of the scale this would be good enough??
Yes I do have 2 biowheels and a bag of LS in my QT tank. I have the sand in a baggie so it wont fog up the tank. Im also going to drop a small peice of LR from my main in there right before the fish goes in. I want to make sure its good.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

What kinda live rock. From where. I'd consider dropping it in now so the bacteria you're looking for will settle there too. I got LR in my QT tank too. It's just that I've been lucky enuf not to have to use meds yet in it.

If the LR you put in before the fish isn't cured or seeded already, you won't get the result you're looking for.

P.S. - I never liked the powder tests. The drops are much easier IMO. And I doubt because it's powder that you are getting more accurate either.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

The LR would be from my sump in my main. I was hoping I wouldnt have to use any LR as my QT has had copper in it before. So the LR would have to be tossed or used just for my QT later if I were to use some.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
P.S. - I never liked the powder tests. The drops are much easier IMO. And I doubt because it's powder that you are getting more accurate either.
Not to digress too much, but I noticed these directions for the Aquarium Systems ammonia test when I was looking into it this morning:

Ammonia test:
Rinse test chamber with water to be tested. Fill to line.
Empty test packet #1 foil into test chamber.
Cap and shake for 3 minute.
Empty test packet #2 foil into test chamber.
Cap and shake to dissolve.
Wait 15-20 mintues.
Compare prepared sample to ammonia color chip (green).
Clean cap and sample tester with fresh water.

This is from http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Wow. If I had to do that everytime I wanted to test for ammonia, I sure wouldn't be doing it much! 18-23 minutes total time and 3 minutes of shaking? Ouch.

That's why I like Aquarium Pharm I guess. For ammonia, drop in 8 drops of #1 liquid, drop in 8 drops of #2 liquid, shake momentarily, let sit for 5 minutes and read color. Heck, from my experience even after about 30 seconds you'll know if you have any ammonia or not. But then I guess that's why there are so many different brands!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if I told you that I stood there and shook the vile as long as they ask, I would not use that test kit!! I have noticed that as soon as the powder goes in that it immediatly dissolves. Also I think someone on here told me that this particular brand I use is the only one you can use when using Prime?? Is this correct?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tested my nitrites last night and they are at .3 according to my test kit. The test kit goes up to 3.3 - 33 mg/l. Since my ammonia is .8 and my trates are 40-60 ppm, does this seem in line?
Also as I asked before is there a specific test kit that one needs to use in order to accomidate Prime when using it? I have heard that Prime sort of messes up test kits unless you use a specific one.

Tags
qt tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com