Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Setting up QT tank

All
Im setting up my QT 30 gallon in anticipation of buying a yellow tang from a friend that is getting out of the hobby. I have 2 HOB filters for the 30 gallon QT tank which obviously holds 2 biowheels. I have seeded the biowheels now for some 3 months at least. Plus Im going to pull a couple of less than baseball size peices of rubble rock out of my sump for the QT tank too. Should this be enough so that I wont cycle when I put the tang in the tank? I am going to throw the rubble rock away once Im done so Im not worried about it. Also I have 6 large peices of PVC for hiding.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think, you could use the biowheels and LR to get a pretty quick cycle. I would add the LR and test the water. Once the cycle is complete, you can just move the LR back, there is no point in just throwing it away.
One question, where do you have the bio wheels now? Keep in mind, the nitrifying bacteria does not reside in the water column (in case you were just floating them), but in the LR and substrate.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you can, put NEW HOB filter media in the sump of your main tank until you get the tang. the filter media will hold the bacteria, and you probably wont need the live rock in the QT. transfer it to the QT when the tang arrives.

make sure that if you put the live rock in the tQT and you treat the QT with any medication, you DO NOT put that live rock back in the main tank / sump.

test your QT water frequently, and do QT PWC's frequently.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

mp3
Dont know if you saw or not, but I have 2 biowheels in the sump now and they have been there for about 3 months. I have been told that anything in the water, if left alone will gather bacteria and can be seeded. I assume biowheels are no different. Also I do like the idea of some sand from my main into my QT for bacteria as well.
Anything that I use in my QT I have to throw away. I have used copped in the QT tank previously so once Im done with the LR, sand, biowheels, etc then it all must go! Again any and all suggestions are much appreciated. I just dont want to end up with a cycle.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Anything that I use in my QT I have to throw away. I have used copped in the QT tank previously so once Im done with the LR, sand, biowheels, etc then it all must go!
Yes, you are correct, if you have used copper in your QT, don't put that back in your main. I have to caution this, watch any kind of meds that "kill" bacteria, otherwise, you might have a cycle in your QT, since your nitrifiying bacteria is, well bacteria.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im wondering...I struggeled with QT tanks before and dont know how this works. So you cycle a tank and get the good bacteria going for you be it on rocks, PVC, biowheels, etc. And then you add say copper and it "kills" the good bacteria. Then how do you keep your tank from blowing up? Producing another cycle? If you kill all of the good bacteria, then how do you keep your levels (amonia, trites) from getting out of control? At one time when I was QT'ing a few of my fish, I was having to do 2 water changes per day to keep these levels down...I dont want to have to go through this again.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Basically, you cycle the tank, but watch what kind of nedications you use. If you are treating for a bacterial infection, it probably contains anti-biotics, those can kill the beneficial bacteria as well as the bacterial infection in/on the fish and cause a cycle.
The copper doesn't kill the bacteria, that is a different med altogether. You will find yourself changing water more often, dempending on the amount of fish and thier size, remember, smaller tanks have less water, this means less room for error. If you have a few fish with, let's say ich, they are stressed and will produce more waste, as opposed to QT'ing a few new fish that are not stressed.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If IM using some sand and LR from my main, then it shouldnt need to cycle right? If so and I use LS and LR, how long does the tank need to be set up before I can add 1 yellow tang? Im buying it from a friend in a 1 1/2 weeks from now. He said he has not had ick in over 2 years so I want to make sure. As far as he knows the fish is healthy and has been for 2 years at least. It will be in a 30 gallon long QT
Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Copper won't kill the bacteria I don't believe. It will harm inverts though. Snails, crabs, stars, coral, etc. Your copper level will be at .15 (or 15.0)ppm or below (test kit required!!) to either treat or prevent ich and stuff like that.

I'm thinking that with rock from the sump, seeded media (wheels or other media), and some water from the existing tank (next water change without the sand vacuum) you won't cycle. But after that stuff goes in and the tang is added, watch the ammonia levels closely anyway. Either you didn't have enuf seeded media (which I don't think so), or the tang's feedings and presence will drive the ammonia up anyway. I think you'll be alright.

And just think, if the tang doesn't get sick, and there's no copper, you can put everything back. If copper is added, I still wouldn't throw anything away. You may neeed it again. Use some of the more non-interesting rock in the QT in case it stays in there if copper is ever used.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I have used copper once before and it worked great. I have the test kit and everything from the last time. (I think this was about 2 years ago - I guess the kit will still be good right?)
Im going to do a 25 gallon water change from my main into my QT so this will be where I get the water from. I will use the 2 biowheels, some sand, and some LR. Since I have used copper once before in my QT, the rock that I put in there will have to be put aside until I need it again in my QT tank.

Tags
qt tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com