Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

ACK! If that scotch brite pad wasn't purchased for aquarium use please read the label thoroughly. Look for any signs that it is not aquarium safe. I would be worried about soap/antibacterial, etc... in a "meant for kitchen use" sponge. Filter floss would be a better alternative.

If you haven't done that yet... I wouldn't. But that's just me.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, looks like I need a little more guidance if you all don't mind. QT has been up almost two weeks now. I added a little food here and there. Now today I'm getting these test results: PH8 Ammon 1.5 Nitrate about 30 (less than 50) Nitrites are either .3 or 0 depending on how I hold the container.

I'm reading the Concientious Marine Aquarist but I value the opinions here.

What should I do now? Wait for Nitrites to spike then water change? How much should I change out (18 Gal QT). I used a well seeded sponge but I had rinsed two weeks ago, it sat in the sump one more week then the QT about 5 days.

The fish I have on hold will be ready in a few days, I'm wondering if I should let them sell it and wait for the next one to come along?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would change out all of the water with fresh water the morning the fish is coming home. Use either well aged S/W or water from your main (if no well mixed SW is available). Have enough water prepared on hand to change the QT tank at least 2 times over (36g), though you'll never change it all at once you may need to do daily water changes to keep parameters stable and you'll want plenty at the ready.

What problems did the YT have? It didn't have ich, right? Were there any parasites introduced to your main with the YT? If not I'd go ahead with the new fish purchase and put him in QT. How big is he? I added a 30g garbage can to my QT environment with an overflow and that really stablized my QT.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

The YT had some sort of parasite. I thought it was ich, lfs thought it was something else. He's been gone for about a month now in qt at lfs and he's recovered. My angelfish died during the first night he was in qt at lfs. lfs said he was exhausted from the tang chasing him around. I'd noticed he was exhausted in my tank too, trying to sleep in between the wavemaker and rock at night since he lost his territory to the tang. We even turned it off one night just so he wouldn't be pushed around in the water all night. There's a chance he caught something from the tang but he was definately exhausted.My other fish are doing great though. It just seems so empty having only three little fish in that big tank. They only stay in one corner too unless it's feeding time. I'm ready for a new fish. Are you of the opinion that I should wait? I want to do this right, trying to set the qt and all. I've had a deposit on this new fish for two weeks and it would be uncomfortable for me to withdraw it from the local guy BUT I would consider it if you think I'm rushing.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can't picture how you have the garbage can involved with the qt - care to elaborate?

After we get this tang through its and the qt is empty, what type of maintenance schedule will the qt tank need? Do I need to run the heater for months on end or can I use it only when I'm getting it ready for a fish? Basement is usually the first room to get cold so the heater would kick on more often than an upstairs tank. Our heating costs are astronomical in our home.

Tags
quarantine, set up, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com