Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Setting up Quarantine and not sure about water set up

I read the AA article on setting up a quarantine tank but still need advise on getting the water quality right. I put a deposit on a fish I really want and it will be available in 2 weeks. LFS owner says that's not enough time to get the QT established. AA article seems to say it is enough time. I filled the tank with water taken from my display tank, but took the sponge out of my qt filter and put it in my sump for it to accumulate good bacteria.

How often should I test the water over the next few weeks?

Should I be working towards a spike in ammonia then nitrites then nitrates as if I had a brand new tank?

I do not have a shrimp handy to create ammonia, could I just add a cube of mysis shrimp that I feed my fish?

It's confusing to me that I started off using water from my main tank that is stable - why wouldn't that same water be stable and ready to accept the new fish?

Anyone willing to share their $.02? I'm all ears!

Old 05-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
why wouldn't that same water be stable and ready to accept the new fish
Because it is the glass, substrate, filter media (and in your main the rock) that hold the beneficial bacteria responsible for the cycle.

What kind of fish and what size QT? You can always stage an offensive with daily water changes until the bio filter catches up. You could create an overflow into a garbage can so that you have enough water to displace the ammonia.

Hopefully your seeded sponge taken from your main will be enough to carry the load of the fish that you're getting. Otherwise no matter how "stable" your QT when you add the fish you're going to have to react with water changes to keep the water quality on target.

Works for me. Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What happens when the QT period is over? Do you return that filter media back into your main/sump? Or do you continually keep material in your sump for QT purposes? I have an old emperor 280 that I could use for a filter... does it matter that the cartridges have carbon? Could I somehow use this so I don't have to buy another filter?

I ask because what if you have to treat the fish for ich or something? I would imagine that you wouldn't want that filter media back in your main tank after treatment 8O

......no hijack intended.......
Old 05-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I just keep a sponge in my sump. When I want to set up a qt, use the water from the main and the seeded sponge and the qt is ready within 24 hrs.
No need for a full cycle if you do this. You can control any water quality issues with water changes.
I just discard the sponge after I am done and place a new one in the sump. Make sure they are aquarium safe sponges, not one from the grocery store. 8O
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

quarryshark - I have a sponge that is in the sump that is a "prefilter" on the maxijet pump. It has been in there for about two months. If I understand your post correctly, I could use that sponge in the qt and the water I have in there now and I'm good to go - no cycle needed - just concientious water maintenance?

to answer the other post - I have an 18 gal and have a deposit on a blue tang (gotta love Dory!)
Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

oops - I just remembered I rinsed that filter on the Maxijet pump on Sunday, maybe that makes it too "clean"?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
If I understand your post correctly, I could use that sponge in the qt and the water I have in there now and I'm good to go - no cycle needed - just concientious water maintenance?
Yes, that is correct.
Quote:
I just remembered I rinsed that filter on the Maxijet pump on Sunday, maybe that makes it too "clean"?
Depending on how good you rinsed it, I would give it a few days.
Also, that 75 gallon is going to be a bit cramped with 2 tangs. Do you plan on a future upgrade?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks like I need to update my tank contents! We took the yellow tang back to lfs. He had some problems and they offered to exchange him. I wanted to make sure we had our own qt set up before bringing home the next fish. Bicolor angel was also a casualty of him so we have lots of tank space. Thanks for being thorough in your answers though - I appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
what if i dont have a sump, will i be able to place a sponge in my Protein skimmer, before the water flows back into the Main? Are you talking about a sponge filter? Should i run it or just let it sit in the water?

TIA

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
I put 2 filter sponges in my sump this morning and I am putting in a scotch-bright pad in now. How long will it be before they are colonized enough to transfer them to my qt and get a fish or two?

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine, set up, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com