Several setting up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've posted in another section about sand choices for my newest tank but I have several other questions too (like that's something new for me).

If I choose to put the black sand in this tank I won't be able to 'seed' the sand from my 'old' tank to help speed up the cycling process (difference in color). So, my question is fairly basic but I'd like to confirm it with the guru's here......I will essentially be starting a new tank (with cured live rock) and therefore it won't benefit me to try to speed up the cycling process right?

I know that's a pretty general question but I just want to make sure I'm on track here. I'm picking up my liverock this weekend and filling up the tank too.....should I stop at the store for my raw shrimp to cycle? :silly:

If you get enough cured LR, you might not even see a cycle, or are you going with a base/LR combo? How much LR will you be adding?

If the travel from the LFS to home is relatively short >1hour or so you might not need the shrimp.
I would get it all set up and add a pinch of food, wait about 4 days and check for ammonia. If you don't read any, you should be good to go.

The scoop of sand from an established tank is more to get the critters than the bacteria. You're LR will do that. Don't remember if you have a sump but if you have one now and on the new tank.. seed your sand there... critter heaven

I agree that if it`s already cured then you`ll be good to go. 60 pounds of cured LR should take care of seeding the sand also. Let us know how it goes.

Wow! Glad that I checked with the brains here....I wasn't expecting this great news. My lfs is about 15 mins from my home.

The scoop of sand from an established tank is more to get the critters than the bacteria. You're LR will do that. Don't remember if you have a sump but if you have one now and on the new tank.. seed your sand there... critter heaven

Duh! I didn't even think of that. Should I pickup a bottle of bugs to put in the tank....or do you think that would help?

If you've got an established sump w/ sand in it.. you've got bugs Dear... Not to discourage you from spending money

I agree that using 60lbs of LR is a great start. Just monitor parameters. Getting some LS from an established tank is also a great idea. Along with the good critters you get, it will help seed the bed...get as much as you can. Don't waste your money on any "pods-in-a-bottle" right now...just not worth it.

Well, I went to pickup some lr yesterday and I'm really disappointed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I consider lr to have some color to it.....this stuff was completely gray (a couple of pieces had a spot or two of purple on it-smaller than a dime). I consider this base rock....isn't that correct?

He did have some really nice colored lr that was $8 a pound. RATS!!

Anyway, I did get a great deal on some sand....it says live sand but I've never given that much credit....how live can it be when it sits on the shelf for 6 months?

Also, I'm not at all familiar with using an overflow etc....I think I can figure it out but I was wondering if I could remove the spongey stuff in the sump and the overflow? I thought that wasn't typically a good idea to go with that ..... bacteria and such?

One more question...it looks like the previous setup was done using long lengths of tubing....what do you think of setting it up using pvc piping instead?

Sorry for the rambling here folks...the 2nd cup of coffee hasn't kicked in and I'm trying to hurry along before hubby gets home from the boat....I have many receipts laying around.....YIKES!! LOL

Base rock is rock that is dry and dead. This rock you saw yesterday was probably live. Live meaning it had the nitrifying bacteria on it needed for good biological filtration. It will have the coralline algea if you seed it with some LR with it on it or you can scrape some off your LR in the other tank into the new tank. It will eventually grow granted your calcium, Alk and magnesium levels are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom