sexing zebra bar gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phantomtiger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
does anyone know how to tell the difference in male/female bar gobies? i have a pair in my 46 gallon mini reef. the larger one often flashes his colors more than the small one (his head actually turns a bright blue with black by the mouth), also this whisker like object comes out of the bottom of his head by his mouth. the smaller one does flash brighter colors sometimes, but not nearly as often. i have always assumed the larger one was the male but i really wish i could know for sure. i've searched the internet and have come up empty handed. they are for sure my favorite fish in the tank. they have a burrow which they protect together but i have yet to see eggs. the larger one also has a darker spot in his belly so i wonder if these are eggs? any advice appreciated, if curious what is in my tank go to my profile. i am new to this site. thanks, tabitha.

Goby or dartfish? Do you have the scientific name?

thank you the article helped a lot. i guess ill just have to wait and see what happens. they definately act like a breeding pair, we refer to them as the husband and wife, lol.

You would think that since they look so much alike that they would be like clown fish and morph over to male or female.

During courtship the male has a colored fin extension located just under its head, before the pectorals, that will flare.

I prefer candy to cigars!
img_997443_0_20728073d6239169f82c4ea97c7ac36c.gif

Back
Top Bottom