SG for Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is 1.024 too high for snails/shrimp/hermits? I think I read somewhere that it should be a little higher and won't harm them. No fish in there for now but might add a goby, will he be ok with that SG?

I agree, it is probably OK, but that is low end for mobile inverts IMO. I'd bump it to 1.025, just to give yourself some breathing room ;)

reefrunner69 said:
I agree, it is probably OK, but that is low end for mobile inverts IMO. I'd bump it to 1.025, just to give yourself some breathing room ;)

Is there a big difference in .001? The reason I ask is because my 2 hydrometers are off by like .0025. Oh well my refractometer should be here soon!

TriggerHappy said:
I'll raise it to 1.025 over a couple days. Would the goby do well in that range or is it too high?

I think that most keep SG around 1.025, it's a good all around number for just about anything you'd put in your tank.

TriggerHappy said:
Would the goby do well in that range or is it too high?

He should be fine. Test the SG of the water you bring him home in. If there is a difference just spend a little extra time acclimating. Personally I'm slower than most while doing acclimation. I'll generally spend 2 - 3 hours acclimating a new fish.

Back
Top Bottom