Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
SG Question

Ok so my hydrometer is reading 1.028 for my tank which seems a little high and when i tested my tap water it read 1.001 so im guessing the actual SG of my tank is around 1.027 which is still .002 higher than i would like it because i want around 1.025 for my reef and fish .... my question is can i just add tap water to my tank to get it back to where it needs to be but doing this slowly over a period of time .... and the other question i have is does SG go up as water get evaporated from the tank? ... TIA

Ray

Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

first i'd get a refractometer...much more acurate than a hydrometer.

But yes, the sg does go up when water evaporates. When water evaps, its just pure water with no salt in it...so the salt stays behind. What happens when you keep the same amount of salt, but less water? yep, there's a higher salt concentration, so your sg will be higher. So are you topping off with freshwater?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

nope have never toped off with freshwater ... should i be doing this? ..... how often? .... and i cant afford a refractometer right now or i would

Ray
Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try here http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...QsassZgreatdel

for a cheap (about $20 depending on auction) refractometer. I just won mine and am waiting for delivery, so I can comment on quality when I get it.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes, you should be topping off with freshwater, and doing that daily. If you find that a problem, then i suggest an auto topoff unit, tho imo they're not needed. Some will say "well i need one because i'm always at work and dont have time to top it off..."
So when do they feed the fish? How bout water changes? imo topoffs are over rated and i see no reason why you cant just top off with a jug of water whenever needed. Now i'm not bashin on you in any way at all, so dont take it like that. I'm just saying that people in general make topoffs a bigger deal than they should, so just dont let that get to you..

enough rant tho lol..basically just make sure that you top off whenever you see that it's low, which for me is once a day, sometimes 2.

Do you have a glass lid on your tank by any chance? Just wondering cuz you say that you've never had to top off before....

hth
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i never knew i had to do this and was never told when i started out .... so when my water starts to get low is when i usually do a PWC and it gets full again ... but i guess that explains why my SG has slowly been rising and its not a big deal at all for me to top off at least once a day with a pitcher of water or something so u didnt offend me at all .... also i do not have a glass lid on my tank i actually have an eggcrate i cut to fit the top perfectly

Ray
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I run an autotopoff, probably the best thing I did (especially since it now runs through my kalk reactor). Having that water container of 30some gallons of RO water ready to go in emergencies is also great.

But yes, you need to topoff water lost in your tank with freshwater. If its straight from the tap, do whatever you do to get rid of the chlorine first.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok well i just got some tap water and put my prime in it and topped off my tank this second so we will see if the SG goes down just a bit ... but then when i do my PWC ill have to add a bit lower SG water to get it back down to 1.025 which is where i want it ... but thanks guys for this information im suprised that with all the reading i have down and having my tank up and running good for 3 months that i have not heard of this ... but thank you and i will make sure to check it daily

Ray
Old 10-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

We learn something every day. And you learned something very important today.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
We learn something every day. And you learned something very important today.
I agree!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com