Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Boykin
I would just like to say that I LOVE you guys! ya'll are VERY helpful, I moved to this forum for another because they where very rude and I love it here!

I have fed him scallops, and I hate feding thoses cause the store I went to will not allow you buy just one and they bad so fast, as far at what I'm feeding my fish its just little pebblets I wouls lioke to feed him better I just dont know what.

My anemone the past two day has bleached, only one once a day though.... I feel like it was the SG, is he going to die? should I go get him some food? Its funny thing is the aiptasia in my tank is fine (I'm working on getting rid of it) and this little thing that came on a frag that I think is a pizza anemone it also fine (pic*) maybe he was just a bad buy, I got him from a petco, because the lighting wasnt anything near what it should have been and I would like to save him.

What should I use instead of the hydromeater?

Pic* This is the thing I think it going to be some kinda pizza anemone, that is the best picture I can get, its so hard to get a nice picture of things that are only about as big as a pinky nail, maybe I can get a ID on him.....
YOU KNOW WHAT?!?!

after looking thro some of the other pictures he looks like theses guys.... they are some kinda mushroom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thing_177.jpg (92.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg img_5164_790.jpg (56.9 KB, 29 views)

Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boykin
What should I use instead of the hydromeater?
Use a refractometer. They are much more reliable.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113761

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I like those pink mushrooms.

One thing you find out about chain stores like Petco, Petsmart, etc is they like to mismark the livestock, usually to make the name more appealing to the customer. Like violet gobies are sold as dragon eels in a freshwater section but they are really brackish water fish and not eels.

I've fed my anemones pieces of raw shrimp, squid, flakes, and mysis shrimp.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh yeah I know all about that.....we learned that when we got our first midas and they said the would get up to 6" and they get WAY larger then that and the we went through like six red devils before we got our second midas.....
Old 02-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
Is that a condy? If it is it could just about live out of the water....those are tough anemones! As for the SG I keep my tank at 1.024 I have a LTA and am getting a BTA and the LTA seems very happy along with my fish and corals...
I keep mine at 1.024 SG as well...

Ziggy, My LFS told me I shouldn't keep an Anemone if I have corals, because the anemone will move around the tank and cause havoc.

Is that true? I would like to get an Anemone, and hopefully my clowns will host it (I know its not 100%), But I havent gotten one because of what the LFS said...

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think once the anemone finds a good spot he will stay, but until then he will move or at least what mine did.... as for the clown I'm sure he would be MUCH happier with a friend and home, and its just cool to watch the clown feed the anemone.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually as Boykin said they will find a spot they like and settle down. However there is always a chance it will start to wander again. It could be stress from say a lamp change or for no apparent reason at all. Some species of anemones have more potent stings than others and pose a greater risk. Some also tend to wander more than others. The LFS is right in that there is always some risk w/ anemones and coral together.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I really have no idea, dont laugh at me but I got him from petco........
Of all the places I have purchased livestock from, I have had some of the best luck with my purchases from Petco. I am fortunate to have a store that has a good saltwater section (most Petco's do not).

It is just imperative that you are knowledgeable about the livestock and have a good eye for judging the item's health, because you will not be able to count on the info from them. However, this is how you get great deals (for example ...

Button polyps were on sale for $19.99. They just happened to be attached to large pieces of live rock (about 7 pounders). Live rock goes for about $9 / lb. So Petco sells me about 15 pounds of coral covered live rock for $40.00.

I also got a beautiful 8 - 10" bta (orange tips) for about $24 in extremely good condition (most other places did not have anything of this size and/or quality, and what the other stores had was usually over $60). I placed him in my tank about 4 - 6 months ago and he hasn't moved once.

The list goes on and on with incredibly good luck with soft corals and fish, so don't be embarrassed, consider yourself fortunate if you have a good Petco nearby. Be sure to go often, as you can never tell when you will find a $50 specimen on sale for under $20.

P.S. I do not work for Petco.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

LOL yeah thats what we got and thats why I really dont know what I have in my tank and need IDs (only one) but we went one night and there was a small rock with tons of polyps on it and we ended up paying $1.75 for it... thats why I do go there pluse while I'm still learning, the animals arnt high in price so if something happned 1st I feel bad because the anmial died but I'm not as worried about the money I spent.... like my VERY mean BFC was only 40$ and at the saltwater stores he would have gone for 60$ or more, theo nly reason why I said "dont laugh at me" was because on the other forum I came from I got ridiculed bad for every thing!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
hopefully my clowns will host it
-TheChad
Maybe it's nitpicking, but an anemone hosts the clownfish, the clownfish doesn't do the hosting, it is the hosted.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com