Shallow to deep sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
i currently have a shallow sand bed and was wondering how can i convert it into a deep sand bed?
i know i cabt just add it all at once
i heard that you can remove all the current sand
place new sand on bottome of tank and place old sand on top all at once?

Removing the existing sand will cause some die off. There is no way I know to avoid that.
I believe the best way to covert is to remove all animals and drain to just a few inches above the desired sand depth and scoop out a few cups of the sand. Set this aside for the moment. Add the new sand right over the old sand. Distribute the removed sand over the top and gently refill the tank. Carefully monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. There may be some die off, but the sand and rock should be able to cope. If not, be prepared for large and request water changes for a few days.
I'm not sure what your specific reasons are, but if you're simply hoping for the benefits of a dsb and aren't trying to change the aesthetics, consider a remote dsb. This can even be done with a five gallon bucket for a sump, filled halfway with sand.

Scooping and saving is difficult, unless you have a similar sized area which you can distribute the sand over and maintain waterflow somehow. Otherwise drain the water, remove the existing sand as quickly as possible, place the new sand, replace the old sand and then refill with water. Be advised however, that it will take time for your new sandbed to establish itself, so you will likely experience a bit of a mini cycle, and cannot expect the benefits of the DSB immediately.

How big of a tank are we talking here, and what kind of fish and or corals do you have in it? How much live rock do you have and how long has the tank been set up in its current state?

ForumRunner_20121217_140836.jpg

It is a 27 gallon cube
been set up for about a year
has 2 clowns, a yellow watchman goby, shrimp,crabs and snails
i have a couple sps, bubble tip anemone, soft corals and a clam

You've got some delicate animals in there. I'd take a long hard look at how badly you want a dsb a d why.

I don't think you'd have any trouble adding small amounts every few days. I've added sand to my system with no ill effect. Maybe go slow & add 1" or so to 25% of the surface area at a time and build up it up that way.

I don't think you'd have any trouble adding small amounts every few days. I've added sand to my system with no ill effect. Maybe go slow & add 1" or so to 25% of the surface area at a time and build up it up that way.

I'd have to agree. If your going to add more sand in a already established tank the best way to go is slow slow slow. Adding only a little to one area then wait a week and add a little more to a different area and so on and so on. That should lower the chances of any spikes or mini cycle. I added a deep sand bed after the fact and did it this way with no issues to report. Tank is now a year old and no issues.

image-3757814289.jpg

Had to photo shop and edit to reduce the blue. This is a better picture.

image-887271849.jpg

I'm not sure there is a need to wait a week, add a bit every day or two, bacteria will colonize the new sand quickly and all the other sandbed inhabitants will adjust. They live in sand so you're not likely to smother them.

I'm not sure there is a need to wait a week, add a bit every day or two, bacteria will colonize the new sand quickly and all the other sandbed inhabitants will adjust. They live in sand so you're not likely to smother them.

To each there own. I just state what's worked for me and the proof is in the pudding. Adding more sooner could be done. Why rush it, that's the way I see it. But yes you could add more and not wait a week but if your in no hurry for the deep sand bed then well... Take it easy.

Adding a little at a time is something I hadn't thought of. Whoops. Good idea. A week between additions might be excessive, but I would certainly wait a few days. Nothing good happens fast in saltwater tanks!

Further advice:

-Turn off power heads while adding

-Scoop Sand into something like a plastic cup, allow to slowly fill with water at the tank surface, lower the container to the sandbed & let the sand pour out slowly

-a filter sock or filter floss will help clear out the sediment from the water column.

Further advice:

-Turn off power heads while adding

-Scoop Sand into something like a plastic cup, allow to slowly fill with water at the tank surface, lower the container to the sandbed & let the sand pour out slowly

-a filter sock or filter floss will help clear out the sediment from the water column.

+1

Good solid advice.

I really apprexiate all of the tips im getting from you guys
Ive been adding a lttle soand every few days and things are going goood so far
cloudiness clears up overnight
and its looking better with the sandbed growing

To remove sand siphon it up with the water during a PWC. To replace run rinsed out sand down a piece of PVC pipe to where you want it.

Enjoy the pearly white new sand now! Expect a diatom bloom over the next few weeks as the silicates on the new sand are consumed.

Back
Top Bottom