shark egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Anyone know anything about shark eggs and having them hatch and all that? Im posting for a friend... no its not really me in disguise. he was just wondering what I could find for him about how long to keep it before it hatches and other need to knows before buying one. Thanks for any help in advance!

What he needs to know before buying one is that this creature will grow pretty large, so you will need a large tank to keep it. 200+ gallons at least IMO.

He actually has a decent plan to keeping this IMO. He plans on hatching it in a 55 where he then plans on transfering it into my 90 gallon which I am not using as im away at school and from there he plans to sell the 55 setup and buy the larger tank (unsure of actual size now) and transport it one more time. He thinks this plan will take a while and the progression will be slow.

He actually has a decent plan to keeping this IMO. He plans on hatching it in a 55 where he then plans on transfering it into my 90 gallon which I am not using as im away at school and from there he plans to sell the 55 setup and buy the larger tank (unsure of actual size now) and transport it one more time. He thinks this plan will take a while and the progression will be slow.

IMO, I think this plan isn't great at all. Now I don't know ANYTHING about sharks/Shark eggs but just going off of general guidelines of fish, that sure seems like a lot of moving around from tank to tank.

Most people on this forum will tell you(your friend) to wait and just get a large tank, THEN go ahead and get the shark egg. No need to stress it out over multiple movements. But this is just my opinion. Good luck with it!!

Well I said decent plan but I feel under his circumstances it'll work out for him. Mr.X ... i see you post on alot of threads and have alot of knowledge on everything so any help on actually caring for the egg and what to do when it comes to for it to hatch? I feel that if its the only fish he has in the tank it wont be extremely stressed to move and if he is transfering tthe water from tank to tank then the parameters wont be thrown off as he slowly builds it up to the new tanks Max right?

I can't imagine that letting a fish outgrow its tank and then moving it would be as healthy as just starting it off in a proper sized tank. Just seems better to get rid of the smaller tank, get the larger and let it grow up in there.

Mr.X ... i see you post on alot of threads and have alot of knowledge on everything so any help on actually caring for the egg and what to do when it comes to for it to hatch? I feel that if its the only fish he has in the tank it wont be extremely stressed to move and if he is transfering tthe water from tank to tank then the parameters wont be thrown off as he slowly builds it up to the new tanks Max right?
I've never kept sharks. My experience is limited to reef related livestock. I used to retail coral and fish for a couple years.
That said, there is no care for the egg, except for keeping it from harm.
The shark is going to take meaty foods once it hatches. I would try to get it to eat silver sides and krill. You could also try some ghost shrimp.
This is going to be very difficult from the moment it's born in that 55 gallon. You need a large sand bed and very little rock. They tend to beat themselves up on the rock, and you are going to need that rock for filtration.
The others are right. You don't want to start this in a 55 gallon. You are going to kill that shark IMO.

I hatched a brown banded bamboo a long time ago so I have some experiance. Had it approximately two to three months befor it hatched . It hatched on its own with no help from me and they are born with a food sac still attached. This was as I was told a delicate time with other fish around them. Depending on what else you have in the tank with it and also you have to have supper fine sand. I grew mine in a 180 predator with only it and a blue spot ray to start with the sac will be absorbed in a week maybe two( its been 15 years since so I'm not positive) then they will start taking food. Mine was fed silversides, krill and squid . Mine grew about 12 in a year and was pretty active( some say they don't move around too much but I wouldn't lean on that advice. I had mine in with some aggressive fish and had no problems ( triggers , stone fish, anglers, lionfish, sting rays, Flounder). Man I miss that tank power outage while I was on a weekend job out of town in winter came home to dead tank with a water temp of 53 deg.

Wow thanks a lot for the information! Im really sorry for what happened to your tank. That's awful. And ill tell him to hold off on the larger tank. He has all the filtration and other gear for the larger tank but he doesn't have the tank or stand obviously

Keep an eye out on Craigslist stuff pops up there all the time. also something I didn't think about was the weight of that much tank and water needs proper support! And there's a lot of good info out there on the web( more knowledge= more success)

Back
Top Bottom