Shark Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here ever hatched a shark egg?

I have a brown banded bamboo egg and I am wandering what to expect .

Is there any way to tell when he will hatch and is there any thing special I need to do for him until then?

Your going to need a tank much larger than a 55.

Agreed!!

Is there any way to tell when he will hatch and is there any thing special I need to do for him until then?

Not really, alot will depend on how far along in it's development it was when the LFS received it (and they won't know) and how long they had it and what temp it's has been and is being kept at.

You will want to have food on hand for it, there is a shark formula by ocean nutrition, also the shark needs a soft substrate like sand and plenty of open bottom space. It won't be too long before the shark will not be comfortable in your 55g tank.

We have a 75 gallon tank that has been cycling and will be ready when the egg hatches. The shark will be the only thing in it for a while, we thought he'd be O.K. for a couple of months. We just bought a 300 gallon set up and the plan is to set it up and let it cycle then combine our 55 and 75 into one. Then we can use the 75 as a sump.

Do you think he'll be O.K. in the 75 until we can get the 300 ready?

This is wild to me please keep us posted as to how it goes with your shark egg. I mean it is really cool and I am very jealous more of your 300 gallon setup than the shark :) but the shark is cool too. I mean I can't even imagine walking in an LFS here and seeing a shark egg. I really hope it works out for you it could be awsome.

Doan

the shark egg are vary cool looking. i have seen 2 of them in my LFS i think they were only like $50 each. but you can see the shark moving around in the egg. it was vary cool. how long have you had the egg in the tank. did the dealer tell you how long it might be till it hatches?

I have a baby shark and I bought a book called 'Sharks and Rays' by Scott W. Michael. It is an excellent book. I was also told that newly hatched pups have a high fatality because of being handled too much.... so don't pet your pup! :lol: just kidding. They bamboos and bandeds are cat sharks and can seem tame, but its not a good idea to handle them... atleast until they are older. This book also says they are sensitive to sudden changes in pH and temp. Also pups are more likely to feed in the dark. Soft substrate such as sand it important because rough substrate will cause wounds on their soft bellies possibly leading to infection. Also most or all species of sharks are intolerant of copper.

I have heard someone else recommend that book, I think I'll try to order it. As for substrate, we have a DSB made up of very fine sand particle, so I think he'll be happy with that. I had heard that I should feed them in the dark, but my other reference had said to start hand feeding about 2 weeks after hatching. Need more info on this.

As details on the egg, the LFS didn't know how old but told me it should be any time :evil: I love sales tactics! Anyhow, I can see the shark moving around inside and he looks to be about 4 inches long already. I've had him almost a week. It's way cool his tail touches his head cause he's coiled around in there, but if you watch he can flip and swim all the way around inside the pod.

I read that they take around 4 months to hatch, but this one seems to be pretty big to me already so I can't imagine it'll be that long. I also read that about a week or 2 before hatching they stop moving around.........almost seem dead. But they are really just way cramped eventually they will get big enough that the flex their muscle and that's what cracks the egg pod.

Pretty cool................. I'm way excited! I'd appreciate any more info from anyone! :D

btw........... I think I only paid about $20 for my egg

Hey we just got a shark egg today. And my fiance` is pretty experieced in the fish dept, but we never delt with these. And he was curious if there was a certain way of clipping the egg like should it be horizontal or vertical? Thanks and yeh we bought ours for $15. :D

Back
Top Bottom