Shark Forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epaulette Shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Seems that in every forum about sharks there is always fighting back and forth? This problem also in forums about other things to.

When some one ask's for help someone starts fighting with them about keeping sharks or something else. Keeping sharks might be wrong in some one opinion and or most every one. This site is here so every one can help each other, I do not think this is a place for fighting! If you can not offer a fish or a shark what it needs then you probably do not have any reason to have it. I also do not think it is right to jump into a forum that you do not want anything to do with. If reading about a certain fish or ell or shark shark bothers you, then why even read them?

I also think that if the topic of "Sharks" are causing this much of a problem then maybe the site should just delete it from the forums.

If I go out and buy a 1,000 gallon SW tank and top notch filtration and I want to keep a shark. Then I will because I feel that 1,000 gal. tank of the right sizes will be fine for one shark and a couple fish as tank mates.

This post might make some people mad. If it does then I am sorry I am just stating the truth. Some people are going to be hard headed and do what they want weather or not it's right for fish or not. If I did not take very good care of my fish, then I would not keep them at all. I have been told that I have showed that I can not take care of my FW fish because I do not know everything about SW yet. I am still learning, I do not think that there are to many people out there that does know every thing about SW.
This is my thoughts on this and some of this goes for every forum on this site.

Here is an example of nothing related to fish.

If you are walking down the street and you are wearing your favorite leather jacket and an animal lover stops you and tells you that it's wrong for you to be wearing your jacket because an animal died so you can wear that. Are you going to say I am sorry and take it off and never wear it again?
I would say I am glad that you have your thoughts on this. But I have mine and I see nothing wrong with it.

Although most people that are talking about keeping sharks are wanting to keep them in a 75-240 gallon tank. I do not think this is big enough most of them grow around 1Ft. Pr/Yr.

I would like for any one that reads this to please leave a comment on how you feel about this!

Thank you for your time
Epaulette Shark

It is called a discussion forum for a reason.
Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion be it good or bad.
hopefully those with less knowledge learn from other peoples experiences/mistakes but ultimatly the individual needs to learn for themselves and do I agree that some should not be so aggrevated by others "learning curve" or what they desire out of their aquotic lifestyle.
I also think post about peoples opinions being misinterpreted as insults or "fighting" are somewhat mediocre.
So i'm agreeing with what your saying, but i'm disagreeing with the nature of this thread. some things are better off left unsaid.
but thats just my opinion. :)

Matt.

Matt
I am glad that you have voiced your opinion. I have not posted this to start a fight. I have posted this to show that there is a lot of fighting going on with in the site. I just do not see a point in fighting over some of the things that have been. I see that some things need to be left unsaid. I also know that the site is a discussion forum and every one has their own opinion.
Once again I am glad you left yours.

Epaulette Shark

Actually the subject of sharks does not come up very often, you just happen to have found several threads today that are months old and began posting to them. Most all shark threads end up in one of two ways. The members with experience tell the wouldbe shark owner that they need very large tanks blah blah blah, and they get the message...or they begin to tell us how they new someone whose uncles brothers cousin kept two great whites in a goldfish bowl and they will keep a shark if they want to....naturally such a dismissal of our advice is not taken very well and the wouldbe shark owner is urged more emphatically to abandon their dreams of keeping jaws in their living room. Usually it ends up in flames and a locked thread. This is the way it is on every fish forum there is, I don't even think predatory fish forums recommend sharks.

you just happen to have found several threads today that are months old and began posting to them.

Most likly a search for shark to list all the shark posts that have been made in the last 3 1/2 years.

NO ethical fishkeeper would ever consiter keeping a true shark in ones aquarium unless they built a highly specialized display aquarium that also would require the aquarists to have the income of a trial lawyer or CEO. Sharks are best left in the oceans and reefs. If you must see sharks up close than take a trip to the local public aquarium.

I am glad to see that I am getting responses to my subject. I am also glad to see that no one has yelled about it yet, but I am sure it is coming.

See this is what most people would like to see in forums. Calm hints, tips and comments. We all don't have to be kids about this great hobby. I am just asking for people to be adults here.

The reason why I had responded to old forums is because when I searched for "Sharks" that is what I got. So I knew that other people would have got the same thing. So I posted what I know about the subject, so if anyone would read the forum they would understand what I have read and post on.

Once Again
I would like to thank every one that has read this and every one that will read it and post something here.

Epaulette Shark

See this is what most people would like to see in forums. Calm hints, tips and comments. We all don't have to be kids about this great hobby. I am just asking for people to be adults here.
The name of this site is AquariumAdvice. I feel we do this very well. From your post, one can infer that you do not think we act like adults here. I simply fail to see where you are coming from. Perhaps you could provide some evidence of childish behavior. I see plenty of posts that fall far short of childish. :roll:

Lando

I am not going to point any fingers about this subject. I could go through this site and quote a few but I am not going to. I myself do not see how people can not see what my self and a few other people see in this site. Although there are probable more then me but they have left it unsaid. I am just trying to help make this site more user friendly, in how we speak towards one another. I have noticed a few people have left after being put down by other users or band after they attacked their attacker. Once again I am not pointing any finger or naming names.

This forum is here to prove a point. Not to point fingers and try to show some one up. I am not trying to show that every one acts childish, but there are some here.

As stated before some people might disagree with the nature of this thread. But like I have said a time before. I am not here to make any one upset!

Thanks for voicing your opinion. All opinions are welcome!

I am really confused. Is this a thread about possible shark keeping or about behaviors of forum members that are beyond the control of anyone?

As Reefrunner mentioned earlier, there are times when this type of topic spins out of control and at that point, the topic usually ends up being locked so the flames are not burning as brightly as some may have wished.

Unfortunately, that occurs in a variety of topics and is not limited to shark keeping.

wow. this really has me confused. On the shark topic I think there are very few people in the aquarium hobby that have the space for the type of set-ups most sharks require.

Keeping a shark is unlike keeping other fish and they have very specific requirments beyond the obvious space that they need. Sharks are very interesting and intellegent fish and one of my personal favorites, though thier sutability for the "average" home SW aquarium is obviosuly not good at all. Its kind of like when FW aquarists buy young red tailed catfish and within several years they are 5 ft long and weigh 40 pds and are much larger than the aquarium iteself.

Its kind of like when FW aquarists buy young red tailed catfish and within several years they are 5 ft long and weigh 40 pds and are much larger than the aquarium iteself.

UH OH better return my juvi.

Back
Top Bottom