Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shark Question

Well i am getting a new 75g long tank this week and i really want a shark. I am just wondering if there are any species of sharks that i can keep in this tank. I have been looking at Bamboo sharks, but i think it will get a little too big for the tank. Does anyone know of a species that stays about 2ft or less. Also are they any small rays that i could get. I know that freshwater tea cup rays only get about 18" are there any small saltwater rays?

Old 04-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #2

Quote:
I have been looking at Bamboo sharks, but i think it will get a little too big for the tank. Does anyone know of a species that stays about 2ft or less.
You will need a 240 gal tank and larger if you plan on so many other marine species
Buddy ><{{{{">

Old 04-04-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You will need a 240 gal tank and larger
absolutely. Sharks/rays need much more room than a 75gal. can provide. They will quickly out grow it.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do some research and you will find out what you can keep in a 75. Or you can come here with a list of fish you would like and we can help you pick. Please don't get any sharks or rays as you need a very large tank.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since my original post I have read on several sites that you can get rays that max out at like 9or 10 inches and can be kept in a 75gal tank. Blue spotted rays and california rays they r called. I only want one and the tank will have nothing in it, but sand. I know now that i won't be able to find a shark that stays small enough. I have a 72gal bowfront now with a lionfish, a couple tangs, some hermit crabs and a snowflake eel. I wanna try something different with the new tank. Any ideas if not sharks or rays?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On what site did you read that blue spotted rays are good for a 75 gal? I saw one at an lfs that was like 2 feet long! You could try an octopus if you want something different or maybe seahorses.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you really want a shark you could get a silvertip shark. It's a brackish fish that can live in a marine environment if acclimated slowly. They can be put in a 75 gallon, but that would be it as they do get about a foot long.

You obviously wouldn't want to buy the fish, and put them in your tank right away; as that would surely kill the fish. I would do some research on this as it can be very difficult, and time consuming.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Blue Spotted can get a little big for that size tank from what i have read. California aka Round Rays max out at about 9-10" and average anywhere from 4-8". I have read that on a couple sites and have seen pics 75gal tanks with at least 4 of them in it. Here is the site that says they can be kept in a 75gal tank.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari...iforniaray.php

And if u read most sites they say "can grow to" that means that it can happen. Most of the time they don't get that big. Its the same as snakes everyone says "ooh this kind can get 20ft" or wutever, but 95% of the time they don't come close, its just that some have or have the potential to so they have to give the max size and say they can grow this big. Averages are much smaller, just because you saw one doesn't mean they are all like that. Chances are that the reason you saw it there is because it was that big so they wanted to show it off.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just looked up silvertip shark and they get like 8ft. Do you mean whitetip shark. Because that isn't really a shark, its a catfish that lives in brackish water. They call them whitetip shark catfish. I don't want a catfish i wanted a shark, however i am not getting one because there aren't any "true" sharks that are small enough.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say get a small nurse shark and just keep it till it gets to big for the tank? They grow about a foot a year thoe? So you will have to keep swaping them with your LFS

Tags
shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com