Shark Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i am getting a new 75g long tank this week and i really want a shark. I am just wondering if there are any species of sharks that i can keep in this tank. I have been looking at Bamboo sharks, but i think it will get a little too big for the tank. Does anyone know of a species that stays about 2ft or less. Also are they any small rays that i could get. I know that freshwater tea cup rays only get about 18" are there any small saltwater rays?

I have been looking at Bamboo sharks, but i think it will get a little too big for the tank. Does anyone know of a species that stays about 2ft or less.

You will need a 240 gal tank and larger if you plan on so many other marine species
Buddy ><{{{{">

Do some research and you will find out what you can keep in a 75. Or you can come here with a list of fish you would like and we can help you pick. Please don't get any sharks or rays as you need a very large tank.

Since my original post I have read on several sites that you can get rays that max out at like 9or 10 inches and can be kept in a 75gal tank. Blue spotted rays and california rays they r called. I only want one and the tank will have nothing in it, but sand. I know now that i won't be able to find a shark that stays small enough. I have a 72gal bowfront now with a lionfish, a couple tangs, some hermit crabs and a snowflake eel. I wanna try something different with the new tank. Any ideas if not sharks or rays?

On what site did you read that blue spotted rays are good for a 75 gal? I saw one at an lfs that was like 2 feet long! You could try an octopus if you want something different or maybe seahorses.

If you really want a shark you could get a silvertip shark. It's a brackish fish that can live in a marine environment if acclimated slowly. They can be put in a 75 gallon, but that would be it as they do get about a foot long.

You obviously wouldn't want to buy the fish, and put them in your tank right away; as that would surely kill the fish. I would do some research on this as it can be very difficult, and time consuming.

Blue Spotted can get a little big for that size tank from what i have read. California aka Round Rays max out at about 9-10" and average anywhere from 4-8". I have read that on a couple sites and have seen pics 75gal tanks with at least 4 of them in it. Here is the site that says they can be kept in a 75gal tank.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/sharks_rays/californiaray.php

And if u read most sites they say "can grow to" that means that it can happen. Most of the time they don't get that big. Its the same as snakes everyone says "ooh this kind can get 20ft" or wutever, but 95% of the time they don't come close, its just that some have or have the potential to so they have to give the max size and say they can grow this big. Averages are much smaller, just because you saw one doesn't mean they are all like that. Chances are that the reason you saw it there is because it was that big so they wanted to show it off.

I just looked up silvertip shark and they get like 8ft. Do you mean whitetip shark. Because that isn't really a shark, its a catfish that lives in brackish water. They call them whitetip shark catfish. I don't want a catfish i wanted a shark, however i am not getting one because there aren't any "true" sharks that are small enough.

I say get a small nurse shark and just keep it till it gets to big for the tank? They grow about a foot a year thoe? So you will have to keep swaping them with your LFS :lol:

JM said:
I just looked up silvertip shark and they get like 8ft. Do you mean whitetip shark. Because that isn't really a shark, its a catfish that lives in brackish water. They call them whitetip shark catfish. I don't want a catfish i wanted a shark, however i am not getting one because there aren't any "true" sharks that are small enough.[/quote

I know it's a catfish. Around here they are called silvertips, and they resemble a shark with their swimming motions. It was just a suggestion.

Look into the Epaulette Shark, horn shark, carpet shark and all of the smaller ones.

The only way that you can keep even one shark on 3' or smaller and let it be happy is this formula. There is formula on how to determine the tank size. I believe it is 3 times the length of the shark full grown and 2 times the length for the width of the tank. As for the height it is 36" and up.

With this formula that I found, this is what you get for ONE shark.
Use the Calculators at the top in the menu to do some more research. You will see that it takes a lot more to take care of these wonderful sharks then you though. May I sagest you buy a book based on the smaller sharks, you will learn as much as I did if not more.

36" tall
108" long
72" wide
Gives you a grand Total= 1,211 Gallons

This is what I know, Hope it helped
Epaulette Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom