Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have tips about having cat sharks or anything to that nature

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Buy a huge tank with a massive footprint, first and foremost. 300-500 gallons would be a good range to shoot for. More if you can afford it.

For just one of those little sharks?

Just for a little shark like a bamboo shark ? I have a 125 gal.

Sharks are extremely messy an aggressive, I saw were you were planning a reef tank an shark would not work at all in that setting. They also need a rounded tank as they could damage there nose by banging it on th corners

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not planning to mix them all up like that I just don't think a 1 ft. Shark need a 300 gal. Tank

Do your research first , Don't just add things to a tank just because it will fit when its young , you must take things into consideration recommended tank size what other fish are compatible , how big do each fish/shark get full grown

I just don't think a 1 ft. Shark need a 300 gal. Tank

That one foot shark will grow over time things dont just stop growing because you want one in your tank ! Think about it

^ bingo, when planning out a tank you need to think on full size of the creature. I want a harlequin tusk fish, but cause I want one doesn't not mean I can go out an buy it. I can not property care for it so why would I go take this fish that was collected of a reef somewhere and give it a less then a proper life?
Also back on the subject of a shark, all sharks have a 6th sense. This is a electromagnetic force put off from special sensors on there snout. This allows them to pick up disturbances in the water. Because of the sharks travel in circle like patterns in, and around reefs, and when you put a shark into a rectangular tank they will bang their snout against the corners, rock work, everything really as its disrupting their normal swimming patterns. This hurts the shark, much like a human severing a nerve bundle in thier lower spine, both can lead to death as they cant hunt with out this

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a good example you get a saint Barnard puppy he fits in your hand when he's small puppy oh so cute ,
Than he grows up you could almost ride him he"s so big now is he still so cute

cat shark specs
img_3223307_0_e0cef23326d0ec38ca0c8c6a52669839.png

Now let's start with the breed you want instead of just general shark anatomy, the bamboo shark. First the are extremely messy, eating live or frozen food, up to a half pound to a pound a week. An rember you can't use a canister on a saltwater tank as they are nitrate traps.

Next this one reaches a min of 3.3ft, reports of it growing larger as been reported an you can even view this in serval public aquariums. it is easily scratched by objects in the tank causing easy work for infections to set in, and sense no scales copper meds an not be used to treat. Now since it is so easily scratched, you have to remove most if not all rock work from the tank, which means you lose a major filtration factor and so on, once again sharks are waste factories

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a decision you make, just because you can (make it live in a small, or inappropriatley shaped tank), doesn't mean you should.

It seems almost no one should keep that Shark because they can not afford to house it properly. That looks like a creature for a exhibit aquarium facility. Looks like something that huge would need a nine foot oval just to swim comfortably not including the consideration of a high quality of life.

It is a beautiful creature though (Cat Shark).

I'm not planning to mix them all up like that I just don't think a 1 ft. Shark need a 300 gal. Tank

A one foot shark may not, but it is not a one foot shark for long. Everyone is dead on here. Get a big tank so that it can grow and have room, or look for something more reasonable for a smaller tank. If you get one, read up on them and all if their needs and be prepared for all the maintenance.

Sharks are very cool and relatively easy to care for. But everyone is right, you need a big round tank.

Back
Top Bottom