SHARKS!!!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if there are any sharks that could be kept in a 125gal. ? It is 72'' long? If not, what type of sharks are put in home aquariums? And what is the average size a shark would need? TIA. :|

Sorry, but IMO and the opinion of many here, SW sharks should not be kept in captivity. Except in a system of 1000s of gallons. Most of them get very large and they need more swimming room than most of us can provide them.
In a 125 gallon definately not.
Sorry, just giving it to you straight. :(
I would love to have one, my favorite animal.
Where you live, get SCUBA certified, you can see them in the wild!! :)

Not that I'm aware of.
People do keep them, I just don't agree with it.

Yeah i guess diving would work if i want to see them. I just have a problem making my ears pop like you have to do when you go down past 15-20 feet. I love snorkling in the Keys thoe. Lots of under water pics. :)

there are sharks that stay relitivly small like under 3' shuch as banded cat sharks there are a cuple more but i would recremend a 200 but the blue print would have to be around 4' by 5-6'

there are sharks that stay relitivly small like under 3' shuch as banded cat sharks there are a cuple more but i would recremend a 200 but the blue print would have to be around 4' by 5-6'

See i want some thing that i could throw a chicken leg too, not a boring bottom feeder :twisted: I want to be scared to do a water change :twisted:

KMyers18 said:
See i want some thing that i could throw a chicken leg too, not a boring bottom feeder :twisted: I want to be scared to do a water change :twisted:

ROTFLMAO, your alright!! :lol:
Wish it was possible. :(

lol, visit sea world then :)

i know i would kill to have a 1000g circular saltpond with a shark or two in there... maybe someday!

actually that makes me think- you are located in florida, a salt pond might be possible for you, have you looked into it? ive read of people keeping sharks (the vicious kind ;) ) in swimming pools converted to salt ponds in areas like FL and CA where there is lots of sun. i would still consider locating it in a greenhouse tho, just so rainfall doesnt dilute it out...

but then again next hurricane you could have a shark on the loose!

the sad reality is that most "aquarium" sharks do nothing but sit in the corner of the tank. Hardly worthy of the Discovery Channel. The bottom line is that these fish just should not be kept in a home aquarium. They need tons of open swimming space. If kept at home it should be in a 1000+ gal. circular tank with a sandy bottom and very little LR. Just plain old space. I get very frustrated when I see small sharks at the LFS crammed into a little tank. I can not even imagine what they feel like. :(

O-well just a thought :( The reason i asked was i saw a nurse shark in a LFS not the one i shop at thoe. But it was small like 8inches long but pretty boring looking! I saw a show with Jesse James the bike builder and he had some mean ones in a tank in his office but i cant remember the name of the show. But it was sweet :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom