Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Shaving Brush plants

So i went to the LFS today to return my diamond goby. I traded it for a purple firefish. The firefish is still hiding. I bought 2 small (1 in.) conches to replace the goby. I also bought a shaving brush stalk. I've read that they help keep the water clean. Would my tank be good enuf for this plant? It's releasing some kind of whitish stuff that looks like smoke. Is it trying to sexually reproduce or is it under stressed? Any help is very appreciated

EDIT: Also, i've read that coralline and caul. algae require iron supplement. Should I add iron to my tank then?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know anything about the shaving brush stalk so I can't help you on that. However, I wouldn't keep two conches in your tank because they will fight. As far as the supplements go, I woudn't add any iron in your tank. I have caulerpa algea in my HOB fuge and I had it in my main tank for a while and it did awesome without any supplements. That stuff will grow no matter what. Its really hardy stuff. The firefish will take a couple days to come out and be active so just have patience with it. Good Luck! HTH

Old 05-07-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks God. Finally a reply lol. So no iron for me then. About the conches, i thought only fighting conches fight each other? I havn't seen any fighting so far but if i see any, i'll return one. As for the firefish... It came out today looking very weak. It was healthy at the store . Its head keeps floating up so it has to swim down every 3 or 4 seconds. Is this normal? I don't think it is T.T It went back into the rocks after 2 hours. What's wrong with it? How do i fix this problem? All other livestocks are thriving.

O yea, the shaving brush stalk stopped releasing "smoke" after 2 or 3 minutes of doing that. It was probly adapting to the new water chemistry?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You will be fine with those conch's..

The shaving brush plant is a very messy plant. You probably would do well to get it out of there. It will soon start to drop its green areas and shed all over the tank. Do not add things to your tank that you do not test for. If you are concerned about iron being used up, do more water changes. All minerals and nutrients that you need will be replaced at that time.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are so right about the shedding part. It's dropping its green leaves. I'll try to talk my dad into removing it. Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as your firefish goes, I don't know what that could be. What are you water perameters like? I've had the same problem in the past and I still to this day, do not know what causes it. The only conclusion that I came up with is that the Phosphates were too high? I heard that it can't hurt the fish but I don't know. I lost two lion fish that way and a bicolor blenny. I hope you find out before anything else goes! Let me know what you find out!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Too late... she died yesterday T.T I checked water today:

NH3: 0
NO2: 0.1 (DARN THE LFS! I CHECK THE SALTWATER I BOUGHT FROM THEM AND THERE WAS .1 NO2 IN IT!)
NO3: 6
PO4: .1
SG: 1.023
Ca: 400
PH: 8.4

I can't figure out y it did
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
I was just about to get a shaving bush too , thanks for the heads up
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol Tito, buy my shaving brush!

JK lol
Old 05-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My dad wants to see proof before he takes out anything in the tank. The plant already dropped 2 leaves on the sandbed but my dad wants to see it drop more to believe that this plant is messy. So i have to wait til this plant drop more leaves to convince my dad into returning it.

As for the plant's progress, it's thriving (i think) new stems are visible and the plant got about 1/2 in taller. My hermits like it (i think). They keep climbing on it and eat the leaves lol. Looks very neet XD

I'll keep u guys posted on how this plant is doing in my mini reef

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com