Shaving Brush plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i went to the LFS today to return my diamond goby. I traded it for a purple firefish. The firefish is still hiding. I bought 2 small (1 in.) conches to replace the goby. I also bought a shaving brush stalk. I've read that they help keep the water clean. Would my tank be good enuf for this plant? It's releasing some kind of whitish stuff that looks like smoke. Is it trying to sexually reproduce or is it under stressed? Any help is very appreciated :D

EDIT: Also, i've read that coralline and caul. algae require iron supplement. Should I add iron to my tank then?

I dont know anything about the shaving brush stalk so I can't help you on that. However, I wouldn't keep two conches in your tank because they will fight. As far as the supplements go, I woudn't add any iron in your tank. I have caulerpa algea in my HOB fuge and I had it in my main tank for a while and it did awesome without any supplements. That stuff will grow no matter what. Its really hardy stuff. The firefish will take a couple days to come out and be active so just have patience with it. Good Luck! HTH

Thanks God. Finally a reply lol. So no iron for me then. About the conches, i thought only fighting conches fight each other? I havn't seen any fighting so far but if i see any, i'll return one. As for the firefish... It came out today looking very weak. It was healthy at the store :(. Its head keeps floating up so it has to swim down every 3 or 4 seconds. Is this normal? I don't think it is T.T It went back into the rocks after 2 hours. What's wrong with it? How do i fix this problem? All other livestocks are thriving.

O yea, the shaving brush stalk stopped releasing "smoke" after 2 or 3 minutes of doing that. It was probly adapting to the new water chemistry?

You will be fine with those conch's..

The shaving brush plant is a very messy plant. You probably would do well to get it out of there. It will soon start to drop its green areas and shed all over the tank. Do not add things to your tank that you do not test for. If you are concerned about iron being used up, do more water changes. All minerals and nutrients that you need will be replaced at that time.

You are so right about the shedding part. It's dropping its green leaves. I'll try to talk my dad into removing it. Thanks

As far as your firefish goes, I don't know what that could be. What are you water perameters like? I've had the same problem in the past and I still to this day, do not know what causes it. The only conclusion that I came up with is that the Phosphates were too high? I heard that it can't hurt the fish but I don't know. I lost two lion fish that way and a bicolor blenny. :( I hope you find out before anything else goes! Let me know what you find out!

Too late... she died yesterday T.T I checked water today:

NH3: 0
NO2: 0.1 (DARN THE LFS! I CHECK THE SALTWATER I BOUGHT FROM THEM AND THERE WAS .1 NO2 IN IT!)
NO3: 6
PO4: .1
SG: 1.023
Ca: 400
PH: 8.4

I can't figure out y it did :(

My dad wants to see proof before he takes out anything in the tank. The plant already dropped 2 leaves on the sandbed but my dad wants to see it drop more to believe that this plant is messy. So i have to wait til this plant drop more leaves to convince my dad into returning it.

As for the plant's progress, it's thriving (i think) new stems are visible and the plant got about 1/2 in taller. My hermits like it (i think). They keep climbing on it and eat the leaves lol. Looks very neet XD

I'll keep u guys posted on how this plant is doing in my mini reef :)

Back
Top Bottom