Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
well good! another thing to try for the mandarin cause mine loves cyclopeeze as well. I know brine is not good for fish but if he eats it that is a start to eating frozen foods...i think mine started off only eating brine..then blood worms..and now slowly the mysis. The brine may not be too good but it will keep him alive longer therefore more chances of him eating other foods and living

and as ziggy said, if you try the brine, mix it with something else as well...thats how i got mine to eat blood worms since i always feed the two together

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
not once in this thread have I heard about its natural diet : pods - anthro and cop. How developed is your tank? Is it a reef, have you considered dosing live pods. They can eat hundreds a day, id say unless you have 100 plus pounds of LR that is very well established I would sway from the manderans. You could start dosing your tank with live copods now and let them start thriving early, but even then I've heard of manderans destroying pod populations. There are thousands of articles on feeding them. Whatever you choose to do good luck

SnowZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If you train them onto prepaired and frozen foods they can stay in small tanks. It is not always very easy to do though.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The best thing to do is get the LFS to feed the tank and see if they eat at the store. Then you know they will eat.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank is 180g with 260lbs of rock in the dt and another 100 in the sump. I have pods crawling all over the place in the sump. I would defintely have to see one eat before purchase. I went to the coral reef in knoxville, tn today. This is my main lfs to buy from. They had 3 and the girl showed me they were eating mysis and bloodworms. I haven't bought one yet because this is some serious thinkin over to do.

Btw, the tank has been setup since early June, I transferred all my stuff from my 75 and got a hold of cured rock and purchased some more as well.
kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Your tank is ready for a mandarin. Don't worry about feeding it frozen foods. You have a good pod population growing in that size tank with enough LR to allow them to grow.

Just go get one. It will become your favorite fish (when you can actually see it).

I see mine a few times a week when it decides to come to the front and peck at some rocks. Most of the time it's in the rock work, hunting!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would rather have one eating regular food just in case I get one that would be an absolute pig and decimate the pod population in no time at all.
kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would have to agree with cmor and my thoughts are "go get one of those that you saw feeding on blood worms and such. Can't aways find some that are eating anything other then pods. Look for one with a high dorsal fin...that would be the male and they are so much more impressive.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com