Shells for hermits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be a dumb question but do hermits prefer a certain kind of shell? I went to the craft stores tonight looking for some spare shells for my hermits. Most of the shells have openings almost the length of the shell instead of a smaller circular opening at one end. They probably wouldn't care for the long opening ones would they?

I just did the same thing last night. They looked at some of the small conch shaped shells but wouldn't take them.

Go to places that sell the tree crabs. They usually have some decent larger shells for when your hermits get big .
I had to do this, one of my Blue legged Hermits is a full 2" across now.
Make sure the shells do not have any paint or varnish on them though.

I just put a variety in mine. Like a They preferred the openings that were round. It depends on how big your hermit is as the opening. Mine has changed shells three times now. I hope it sticks with this one. I used the smaller shells that I had bought from a trip to the beach came in a variety pack.

Scatcat

Hobby Lobby (or other craft stores), Walmart, all pet stores in Lubbock and Amarillo have had great prices 8O Supprise!!!!

I bought mine at a shop by the beach. A bag full. I have seen them on ebay as well. I just don't know if you'll want to pay for shipping for them.

Rachel

I have an LFS that always gives me a few extra shells if I ask. I do not have any huge hermits, but a large turbo snail shell seems to work.

I got my shells at Michaels the Craft Store, i brought a bag full with a nice variety for like 2 bucks. I put a couple in and my hermits seem to switch a lot, they are the conch type shell.

Back
Top Bottom