Ship in reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about adding one of the nice detailed ship wrecks to my reef tank. I wondered if anyone else had done anything like this and if they did could they post a pic of it. These ship wrecks run 60-100+ bucks in cost so I want to make sure it looks cool and not corny before I do it.

Personally, I think it will look like a cheezy freshwater tank. However if you did have say.....a 150 gallon tank, you could probably fit something cool in there like a small porthole window or something like that. Might be kinda neat.

Most people in SW go for a "natural" look. Personally I would say no. Spend the $100 on some nice live rock. The tank is yours and you will be the one looking at it so do what you think you will enjoy.

Most people in SW go for a "natural" look. Personally I would say no. Spend the $100 on some nice live rock.
(y)
I agree. Granted, this is your tank to decorate as you like, I just think putting artifical decos in a reef tank is counter-productive in what you are trying to achieve. JMHO.

I agree with Brenden. I have a FW background and when I first got into SW I was gonna do a FOWLR tank. I bought all kinds of decorations online...fake anemones, plants, etc but after seeing everyone's tanks on here and how gorgeous they were without any fake stuff, I got rid of it all and ordered Keys rock from Liverocks.com.....best thing I ever did. Just my .02

Old -timer here. I've tried it all over the years. During my "fake decoration" period (in saltwater) I had no luck because whatever you put in there that's not natural, just gets covered in brown and gucky stuff. Anybody have luck with fake corals in a salt-water set- up? Not that I want to anymore. :wink:

I have used coral rock and it has taken on some coraline algea and corals from my other live rock over the past year. Eventually the organisms will make anything you put into the tank "Live Rock".

i have a bunch of fake to sell if anyone wants some i spent $500 on it when i first started out now its all in a box

My lfs has some sunken ships and an anchor in like a 125 under low lighting so it looks pretty cool, but yeah Iagree with the lr thing.

Not that I would put one in my tank, but I have not seen this expensive ship wreck. Anyone have a link? For $100 it must be fairly cool to look at.

Fake decorations will do nothing but collect algae. IMO, go with the natural look.

Yeah, I started with the fake coral. I still have a couple piece burried in my rock structure. After a short time all the vibrant color disappears and is just becomes part of the rock work.

I do like the port hole or debris idea. I have seen an anchor and it could look cool if you are set on something.

For a $100 you could get some nice rock or corals though.

I took a high resolution picture of my tank, put it in photoshop than copies a photo of the ship wreck I was looking at into it - to put it mildly it looked like crap in the photo so no doubt it would look like crap in real life.

My buddy has a ship with bubbles in his 150 and you don't really notice it. In fact my husband had to tell me it was in there for me to see it. He really likes it, I just don't notice it with all the pretty LR and corals.

Back
Top Bottom