Shipping w/ cool packs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright, after the post office screwed me over and refused a shipment from me...long story, i may have to use a cool pack to ship a shrimp.

where can i get cool packs for shipments. i want to ship a shrimp to a fellow AA member from Chigago to the east coast. the weather is ~90°F in both places, so i think a cold pack is in order. do you just use the gel packs that you would put on an injury? or is there something a little more specific to shipping fish/inverts?

thanks,

~mike.

and for those who want the story...

i tried shipping a mantis to a fellow AA member on thursday last week. dropped it off at the post office in downtown chicago. the shrimp was packed in a screw top plastic jar with the lid secured with tape. this was placed in a bag to prevent anything that may leak out from saturating the box. the box was lined with foam, and i filled the gaps with packing peanuts. anyway, dropped it off thurday morning at 8 and they guaranteed delivery to CT by 3 pm that friday (overnight). friday morning, after i get to work, i check the tracking info to make sure it is on the way... and i come to see that it was refused at the airport :eek: ... not good! and to make matters worse, the tracking screen reported the package was at my house!!! 95°F during the day on friday! :evil: so, i called person after person from the post office to see if they could give me a reason for my package being refused at the airport... nope, nothing, just people telling me that it was refused for some reason... thanks, i couldnt figure that one out on my own!
so, after getting nowhere with the 4 people i talked to at the post office, the airport, the perishibles shipping person, etc. i basically gave up, and accepted the fact that it was sitting outside my house.
fast-forward to 6:15, when i get home from work. go to my door ready to get my shrimp and survey the damage... but there is nothing at my door. i go to the mailbox and see a "your package is at the post office'" slip. one key item to note here is that the post office closes at 5. doh. even more annoyed now! saturday morning roles around and i wake up bright and early to make it to the post office to pick up my now 2 day old package, expecting the worst. as the lady at the counter brings up my box, i see 2 words written on the top "too hot"... thats it. no explanation, nothing, just too hot. whats too hot, the box, chicago, connecticut, the plane, the shipping warehouse.. what!?!?
i get my money refunded for the shipping, and bust out of there as soon as i can... once home i tear open the box and see a living, p-ed off, mantis. 8O. nothing leaked, the container was perfect. aclimated him, and put him back in the QT that he came out of 2 days earlier. he ate last night, and i am going to try to ship him out again... so, more of an annoyance than anything, but im still p-ed off that no one decided to inform me of this possiblity when i shipped it in the first place. argh! now, to figure out how to ship and not have it be refused at the airport!

see, told you it was a long story... :oops:

edit... apparently you cant write *bleep*off with out getting censored... hehe

I used a cold pack in one of my shipments. It was just a small gel pack that you can put in a lunch box. Not sure how long it lasted though. I figured it would only last a day at most.

Not sure what the too hot meant either. Crazy.

You can also use ice cubes put in plastic bags wrapped in newspaper.

wouldn't that be a bad idea, being that they like warmer temps? Just curious? Wouldn't the Ice pack make the water your shipping him in really cold?

mp3z24 - I would honestly try and go to a UPS store or Fedex at the very least ... they are much better at handling and shipping packages than our USPS! It may cost a slight bit more but at least you have assurance that it will not be denied!!

edit... apparently you cant write *bleep*off with out getting censored... hehe

and we don't have a sense of humour over people trying to get by the censoring filters either...your post was edited.

Jermz,

Not when you wrap it in newspaper it kindof tones the ice down a bit.

yes they can live a little longer in cool water than in really warm water.

Jermz79 said:
wouldn't that be a bad idea, being that they like warmer temps? Just curious? Wouldn't the Ice pack make the water your shipping him in really cold?

mp3z24 - I would honestly try and go to a UPS store or Fedex at the very least ... they are much better at handling and shipping packages than our USPS! It may cost a slight bit more but at least you have assurance that it will not be denied!!

thats probably a good idea to use a shipping company rather than the usps... i will have to do some research and see what their odd rules are going to say...

~mike

Back
Top Bottom