SHO lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a used lighting unit for my tank. It will replace my 40w FLOUR actinics.

It is an SHO 55x2 actinic? Can someone tell me what I just bought. I only paid $20.00 for it and am sure it must be at least somewhat better than what I had.

Now my 55g has SHO 55x2 actinic, and, PC 65wx2 ultra daylight.

Is this now sufficient for my reef?

Howard

Not sure I've ever seen or heard of "SHO" actinics. What's the pin set configuration?

Cheers
Steve

OK, well They are twin tubes, 21" long including the pins. They do not wrap around like PC lights. They are attatched together at one end and have 4 small pins all in a row that plug into one unit. There is another on the oposite side. Both sides are rated at 55w actinic, making 110 watts total for the fixture. They are mounted in a 48" long strip light, manufactured by Sylvania.

On the pin section it reads

SHO Light
55w Actinic Blue
2g11 Germany

Does this help? I hope. It is all I can tell about it.

Thanks
Howard

sounds a lot like a PC bulb to me. SHO may simply be teir type of part number?

anyone else?

BillyZ said:
sounds a lot like a PC bulb to me. SHO may simply be teir type of part number?

anyone else?

Agreed. 4 pin square arrangement is the German manufactured PC bulb.

fishtender said:
Now my 55g has SHO 55x2 actinic, and, PC 65wx2 ultra daylight.

Is this now sufficient for my reef?

Yes, these will do fine for most all soft and LPS corals and after the tank has matured some, possible a few select SPS. I have been having reat success wth monitpora sp. and PC lights. Others would include: porites, hydrophorna, pavona and anacrpora to name a few.

Good Luck!
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom