shock in water and tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamaseta17

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so yesterday i was changing my carbon on my canister filter.when i took of the topp i wet the surge outlet and one socket burned a little. i shut everything of and started drying evrything, after everything was dried i plugged everything in except to the burnt socket on the surge. today im scraping my glass and i get shocked then i move the light and i get shocked i touch the water again and again and i get shocked. my fish look fne and everything is working , has this happened to anyone this is a little scary what should i do? hellllllp

You should add a titanium grounding probe in the tank and replace the surge protector.

Is it really a surge protector or just a strip outlet. If it's a surge you should take it back for a refund. You shouldn't have an arcing w/ a true surge protector. Sadly the majority of the cheap ones are no better than an extension cord.
ok that means i reealy need another urge protector thanks

Well I Just Bought A Great Surge Protector And So Far No Shocks I Will Also Buy That Probe If You Guys Think Its A Good Idea

Always a good idea, I had a ph leak current and killed all my fish.....

Check all equipment thoroughly , get ahold of a volt meter and start plugging in and out as you are testing this take two people one to do the volt meter one to plug/unplug items NEVER do this with wet hands ...

Nanoreefing.Com :: View topic - wow nellie that HURTS!
Salt water is an excellent conductor of electricity . Therefore extreme caution should be heeded !
While changing out equipment and adding grounding probes is an excellent suggestion I would HIGHLY recommend locating the source and replacing said equipment , as a futher fail proof method ... :)

Just to further what Sadielynn said...

The grounding probe is for your fish, not you. If you're getting a shock in your tank, the grounding probe isn't the fix. The fix is finding what is in your tank that is damaged and shorting in your tank, and replacing it. Immediately. You should also have a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) somewhere in your system. Either replace your normal wall outlet with one, or get one of the inline GFCIs. This will trip out long before your circuit breaker.

The grounding probe is meant to take care of stray voltage that you can't feel, but your fish can.

Duh, good point! Definitely find what is causing it and replace the faulty equipment....

Back
Top Bottom