Shooters 72 bow front build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cycle started! Yippee

Monday the tank temps stablized and I started the cycle with 50 lbs base rock seen in the pics earlier, 6 lbs live rock from my fowlr, and a small cut of frozen omnivore food cube. When I bought substrate 80lbs of fine sand, 20 lbs of it was Carrib Sea live sand. The live sand wasnt in the plan but it was what was available to make up the 80 lbs I needed. It is a lovely white sand though. I did add 10 ml of urine to get the amonia kick started. I have not done this before but read several articles about it and just wanted to try it.

Wed. day 3 I will move another 5-6 lbs of Live rock from my fowlr. I am staggering the LR to give my 30 gal fowlr tank a chance to catch up with the bioload even though it is light. In the end when I move all the fowlr rock and 4 fish to the 72 bow front there will be a total of 25-29 lbs LR and 50 lbs of base in the new tank. Before I move the last rock and fish I am adding 5 blue-green chromis to the 72 and will wait about 7-10 days before moving the fowlr contents if the parameters or ok. Any thoughts?

cycle progress

Monday my amonia was .25 ppm. Friday it was 1.0 ppm. I had to order a sump fan as temps are about 3 degrees F high.

May be at end of cycle.!!!

A few pics of the aquascape but first I think there is an outside chance my tank is already at the end of the cycle in just one week! I will wait at least another week for testing but I have gone from .25- .50-.1.0 of amonia and today nitrites and nitrates tested zero and amonia is falling below .50. I did a fishless cycle with 58 lbs base rock, 12 lbs live rock from my fowlr tank and 40 lbs standard reef sand with 40 lbs live sand. I have been feeding the tank every other day with frozen omnivore food at about 1/4 cube each time. My skimmer is on line and producing little skim mate.

The pics: 1-I had left over plumbing since I changed this used tank from hard plumb to flex. I made a bucket filler/top off gizmo for water changes. Beats bending over bailing from a 30 gal. RO trash can!
72bowfront2_263_01.JPG
Pic of my aquascape under red-UV LEDs
72bowfront2_273_01.JPG
Blue LEDs
72bowfront2_285_01.JPG
Last aquascape pic. Tough with my lenses I have now.
72bowfront2_266_01.JPG

Back
Top Bottom