Should I add more LR now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been cycling for almost 2 weeks now I have just put the dr in this past sat... I have about 11lbs of lr in there already with ls and 30lbs of dr... I was waithing to order lr.com rock so that most of the life will survive..would most the critters survive this early on? it will be cycling 2 weeks this thurs..

Oceanicsublimat said:
would most the critters survive this early on? it will be cycling 2 weeks this thurs..
If you have added an ammonia source and that stage has past, it is possible the incoming hitchikers would survive. As long as you do the needed water changes to control the water parameters, most things should survive. A tank is not properly cycled as long as ammonia and nitrite are detectable.

Cheers
Steve

i added my LR after two weeks of cycling (using raw shrimp from day one). Most of the hitchickers i saw survived (rock crab, feather dusters, etc.).

kool..Ok thanks.. My tank is gowing through the diatom bloom.. and the shrimp is still there.. all encased in it's nice gooey stinky mess..:) I think in a few days I'll order 30 more lbs of rock.. if my readings are alright. I want everything to live so I have the patience. And what type of water change do u recommend? 10 or 20%?

Oceanicsublimat said:
And what type of water change do u recommend? 10 or 20%?
Base it on need. The higher the ammonia, the larger the water change. If your NH3 and NO2 elevate out of control, upto 25% daily might be needed. Depending on the travel time, LR.com product usually fairs very well and most report little or no significant die off. You might not have any issues but it's best to be prepared.

Cheers
Steve

What are your water parameters? How long has the LR been in the tank because LR speeds up the cycling process.

amm_ .25
trite_ .50
ph_8.2
trate_20

that was my readings yesterday.. my 11lbs of lr has been in there since the beginning..and the deadrock for about a week..the shrimp is still in there with it's little slime coating surrounding it...

Your cycle is progressing nicely. A few more weeks and there should be no more ammonia or trites at all. Once your new rock goes in, it should speed up the process even more. I would still suggest having an ample supply of SW ready incase needed.

Cheers
Steve

It would be easier for you and the hitchikers if you waited until the cycle process was complete. I was under the impression the new rock was already on the way? If you wait for the cycle to complete before the new rock arrives, most if not all your hitchikers would survive due to there being an established (albeit new) biofilter in place.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom