Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
should i add this thing?

I got some LR from LR.com. Great stuff. I found a little star on the bottom of the bad. Is it safe. It kinda creeps me out a little because its legs look all hairy. There is also a 1" small red crab, and what looks to me like a cleaner shimp. It is red with a white stripe down its back, very tiny. Along with a bunch of other tiny crabs. I'm just really wondering about the star. bad pic below.

fualku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
looks like a brittle star...safe for the tank.
I'd skip the crab unless you can 100% identify it as safe for fish and corals. many cute little crabs grow up into fish eating monsters. uncool (I just had to remove a crab from my tank that I decided was 'probably ok' when I first set it up).

As far as the shrimp goes, hard to say. Could be a cleaner...could be a mantis or pistol shrimp. If it was me, I wouldn't add them without knowing 100% what species they are.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yep, it's a tiny little brittle star!
frshwaterfinatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Add the star. The shrimp I would suspect a mantis, can you post a pic of it? This way we counld give you a positive ID. If its a mantis, definately do not add.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Oh please add the little guy! Those things are wonderful.
Corty is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com